Making a starter with corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
im going to be brewing tonite, and i just found my DME hard as a rock. can i make a stater with corn sugar?

If you are brewing tonight, a starter probably won't do you much good.

From what I understand, just straight sugar isn't great for starters, as the yeast becomes accustomed to that sort of environment and then might stall on you when you pitch into wort. I really don't know if you're better off going without a starter.

TL

TexLaw is correct. Your starter needs to contain an appropriate concentration of maltose sugar to ensure that you yeasties don't get "lazy." Corn sugar doesn't contain any maltose.
Are you using dry or liquid yeast? If you are using dry yeast, just rehydrate the yeast in luke-warm water for about 30 minutes, stir, and then pitch.

I'd pitch that tube solo before making a starter with dextrose. As long as your not making a high gravity brew you should be alright.

those vials aren't as powerful as you think. just pitch it, but expect lag time.

also, they are pressurized so vent pressure when you open it. if you crank the vial open you'll be wearing a few million yeast cells.

those vials aren't as powerful as you think. just pitch it, but expect lag time.

i agree, i guess i could stop by the brew store on the way to work and make a starter tonite then just brew tommorro night. oh the choices ahead of me LOL

blefferd said:
i agree, i guess i could stop by the brew store on the way to work and make a starter tonite then just brew tommorro night. oh the choices ahead of me LOL

If you have the time that sounds like the best plan. :D

Or, stop by the LBS and pick up some dry yeast (unless it's something that really calls for a specialized yeast, you didn't say what you're brewing). US-05 or S-04 will handle most any domestic or English ale.

(Off topic in regards to starters...) You can still use the DME even though its hard as a rock, right? Try smashing up with a hammer or something first? Or is it too much of a pain to use and better to just trash?

im making an american pale ale, i think im going to pick up some DME on the way to work and just brew tommorro

I've made two starters with corn sugar and some yeast nutrient and had mixed results.

One was with Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley and it was VERY slow to do anything. So slow that I went out and bought a second pack to toss in with the starter.

The other was with the dried yeast that came with my Winexpert ice wine kit. Those yeast took off and were fiercely bubbling away in about an hour or so.

So, it can be done, but time and strain seem to influence the efficiency of it.

Back