Making a smoked beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever tried or heard of making a smokey flavored beer?

Here in Australia James Squire (Malt Shovel) released a beer called scribbly gums lager and it had a really smokey flavor to it, can you get kits or are there ways to achieve this in home brewing?

Use a portion of smoked malt in the grist. There are commercial examples of smoke malt and should be available from your lhbs.

In light colored lagers, a small percentage of smoked malt will give a smoker flavor. In something like a porter, I've used 100% smoke malt so my base malt.

i just had a yeastie boys rex attitude. it's made with 100% peat smoked malt. i dont recommend it

Weyermann raunch malt (beechwood smoked) is awesome. 40% rauch, 40% munich, and 20% pils with a lager strain makes a tasty beer.

I just finished off a batch of a smoked porter and it was positively yummy!

8 lbs MO
2 lbs cherrywood smoked malt
8 oz 40L Crystal
4 oz Carafa

The cherry smoked added a much mellower smoke flavor to the beer than the beech smoked. The crystal and Carafa added a nice sweetness and full body to the beer.

I hopped it to to leave a little more of the malt noticeable.

Enjoy!

Just tasted the first bottle of a batch of Ray Daniels' Snowflake Smoked Porter (available as a kit from Morebeer.com)
Freaking Delicious, so glad most of my friends don't like porters:D

Nb has a partial mash recipe of Surly Smoke- that's the best smoked beer I have had

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, i'll definitely have to try out osme smoked beers!

Did any of you ever get to taste Scribbly gums? It was awesome.

I'm fixing to brew a extract black rye ipa using a pound of chocolate malt and half pound of chocolate rye, should be nice and roasty! Oh just found out unread that wrong, replaced smoked for roasted in my mind...

Ive only done this once but had GREAT results. I made a Autumn Amber Ale and made a oak tea. I took 1 oz of small oak chips, toasted them in a glass pot. Then added 2 cups of distilled water. Bring to boil with oak chips then cover and turn off heat. Let sit for 20 mins. Then remove lid and bring to light boil until condensed to 1/2cup to 1cup of liquid left. Let cool to room temp and add to bottling bucket when bottling. Try to make it day of bottling. NOTE: I had a very tangy oak after taste when beer was young. But condition your bottles for 4-6 weeks and the oak flavor is amazing. Very clean.

Back