Making a shank work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carb1de

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to get the brass out? Is it threaded or pressed? Don't worry about the masks. I tried a screw extractor, with mild force. Just need to know if I have to apply more pressure
20181104_192737~2.jpeg

Dunno.
I'd carefully file or cut a slot into that brass insert, to give it some relief. Just don't cut into the shank!

That is(was) a shank with built in john guest fitting. The brass is not threaded in, it is pressed in. Your best bet for getting it out is a drill press.

If you want to use that as a standard shank you may want to grind smooth the rear seat where your washer is gonna go.

That is(was) a shank with built in john guest fitting. The brass is not threaded in, it is pressed in. Your best bet for getting it out is a drill press.

If you want to use that as a standard shank you may want to grind smooth the rear seat where your washer is gonna go.
Was gonna thread it for a mip x John guest fitting. With 1/4 tubing. The ID of 1/4 tubing is 0.17 compared to the 3/16" 0.1875 ID. Maybe get a little more restriction

The guest fitting on the shank is 3/16 OD. Which is next to impossible to find fittings.

I saw microline "fuel" line at home depot that was 3/16 od. Yeah the ID was TINY

It really is a useless shank...i ordered it by accident. Thinking it was 1/4. Till I got it and 1/4 didn't fit

Either that or tap it and go with a 1/4 guest x mip adapter

I got a 3/8 shank installed now. Getting a reducer to go down 1/4 od to hopefully balance my system better.

I would have to get a straight tail piece cause the bend is about 2-3 inches from the shank. My tower is black iron

Back