Making a modified batch from Brewer's Best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
Some time ago, I found a recipe for a banana flavored Dunkelweizen on this board. It called for you racking the beer onto 750 ml Banana Flavored Malibu at bottling.

The problem there is that it was all grain - and I am only set up for extract. Do you think that I could use the brewer's best Dunkelweizen and achieve the same results? A lot of the fermentables are the same from the recipe, but I am not sure how quantity stacks up.

Give me your honest thoughts.

yeah I think that would work fine. Dunkelweizens are usually very simple straight forward recipes. Without even seeing either recipe, I doubt there would be a huge difference.

Not sure I'd be into banana flavored beer but hey you make what you like. That's one of the great things about this hobby is you can make whatever you want.

Don't knock banana beer... its delicious. I am big on tropical brews. Made a Coconut one last summer that turned out GREAT.

I'm just a bit leary of fruit in beer.

You know that the hefeweizen yeast strains can naturaly produce a banana flavor. Fermenting a bit warmer 72-74 usually brings out the banana flavor from the yeast. But it's got to be the special hefeweizen strain of yeast like white labs WLP300. This will probably be a bit more subtle then adding the malibu.

Back