Making a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praesil

Reaction score
I grabbed a 50 quart rubbermaid cooler on Craigslist for $10. The cooler in question:

4fPwF.jpg

It's got a drain and plenty of capacity, however there's a lip on the inside, about halfway up (hopefully you can tell from the picture). I'd estimate that the bottom part can hold about 4-5 gallons.

Let's say I put a manifold in the bottom, and the grain comes up over the lip. Am I going to have problems since it's not a straight shot down the sides? I fear that some grain might rest on the lip and not sparge properly.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Luckily the cooler was only $10, so if it won't work, no big deal!

I think the ridge will have little to no effect on your sparge. You shouldn't worry about it at all.

You may have a little less efficiency if you are using fly sparging depending on how you have your sparge arm set up and how big the grain bill is. I would probably just to batch sparge on a set up like this.

Latest posts

Back