Making a controlled temperature fermentation container from a mini fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justwingnit

Reaction score

I took a mini fridge and modified it to hold a 5 gallon water jug.

add a controller like .. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you need to raise the temp. we can do it a lot of ways but the next to no money out of pocket way would be to wire in a light bulb and mount the light bulb in a paint can watch for a future video I'll show you what I mean.

Larry
Toxic Cellar

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be a little hinky about the light bulb unless you'd covered it up. Light is the enemy of beer, and while sunlight or flourescent light is the worst, I don't like the idea of giving my beer any more light than I have to.

If it were me, I'd get one of the cheap reptile heating mats off amazon and wrap that around it. In fact, I've done that, works great, and it's cheap.

I'd be a little hinky about the light bulb unless you'd covered it up. Light is the enemy of beer, and while sunlight or flourescent light is the worst, I don't like the idea of giving my beer any more light than I have to.

If it were me, I'd get one of the cheap reptile heating mats off amazon and wrap that around it. In fact, I've done that, works great, and it's cheap.

Yes the light bulb would need to be mounted in a paint can or something so the light is not filling the chamber but the heat is, as for heating mats, yes that would work too I built mine at no out of pocket cost. I just edited original post.

One more edit.... LOL after seeing the price on a reptile heating mat I ordered one. :)

Last edited:
When I did mine, i got lucky as the fermenter JUST fits if I offset it and level out the bottom with a couple pieces of wood. But no room for an airlock, so I ran a piece of tubing from the top (piece of plastic tube in a drilled stopper) through the top and out and into a jar filled with Star-San.

A bigger, deeper one would have been nicer.

minifermchamber.jpg

Back