making a arley wine can i make another beer from...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
So I am going to make a barley wine, have not settled on a recipe. my question is can I make another obviously lighter beer from the 2nd and third runnings? just seems like a lot of grain for only one beer.

Any input is appreciated I average about 80% efficiency with my brew house.

Check out the parti-gyle article on byo.com. it was in the last issue but you can find it on the website on the front page if I’m not mistaken. I am also planning on trying this in the near future!!! goog luck man!

Absolutely!!!!

I squeeze another batch out of an IPA!

I do supplement with 3 lbs of pale DME usually, but with an arleywine!!!! Who knows?;)

Historically, people made two or three beers from one mash: a barleywine, a strong ale and a small (table) beer. We call the method parti-gyle.

I've done this a few times and it seems to work out pretty well. Depending on what you want out of your second beer, you may wish to cap the mash with crystal or roasted grains to return a bit more flavor and color. You may also want to bump up the fermentables by adding honey,(a nice touch if not overdone, I think) or dme. On a couple occasions I've found these second runnings beers to be better than their mother beers. imho

good luck,
Paul

Here, this thread is me in real time figuring out how to do a partigyle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I go from not understanding to having a lightbulb go off. And even being able to trick beersmith into doing the work for me.

I did another one on New years eve, and using my refracometer and beersmith I was able to figure out hop additions on the fly for the beers.

Here, this thread is me in real time figuring out how to do a partigyle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I go from not understanding to having a lightbulb go off. And even being able to trick beersmith into doing the work for me.

I did another one on New years eve, and using my refracometer and beersmith I was able to figure out hop additions on the fly for the beers.

have you posted your recipe for the one you brewed on NYE? What styles did you do?

have you posted your recipe for the one you brewed on NYE? What styles did you do?

No, I haven't posted it, it really just was a slightly bumped up version of the Ben Franklin, "Poor RIchards Ale" you find on the web. Then for the second runnings, I just took preboil gravity numbers, ran them in beersmith, calculated on the fly what the final gravity would be at the volume I wanted and attempted to hop for a balanced beer using the IBU/BG chart .

ibuguchart.jpg

When beersmith gave me a rough OG I then used the chart to determine what the IBU's would be for a balanced beer.

Of course I then realized I had a bunch of partial sachet of opened hops in my freezer, so I ended up bumping my original calculation by about .25 ounces for each of the three additions, but the hops were old so there will be some loss of ibus in those.

It will be interesting.

I'm going to attempt to do a parti-gyle (kind of) this weekend thanks to Revvy's and this thread. Planning a 21 lb IIPA, and probably going to just make 1-2 gallons of a pale ale out of the 3rd running's. Don't know how this will turn out at all, but I plan to take an OG reading of the small beer from the 3rd running's to see if it is worth putting the effort into going any further.

:off:
Also, the IIPA I'm going to brew in a few days will be my 5th beer ever and I've never done a high gravity beer before, so I'm trying a lot of new things all at once. I'm still looking for tips on high gravity brewing and what I need to know here, if anyone could help me out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/need-tips-high-gravity-brewing-156577/

a couple of questions:

1.) what og. and volume are you expecting for the first beer?

2.) are you batch, or fly sparging?

3.) you mention a third runnings beer but not a second; where are you planning to put the second runnings, with the first beer or split between the first and third?

I've never tried to make 3 beers out of one mash. Depending on the volume and og. of the first, sparge technique, and condition of the second runnings, you may be adding very few fermentables and some astringency into the third.

Cheers, and good luck,
Paul

Depending on the volume and og. of the first, sparge technique, and condition of the second runnings, you may be adding very few fermentables and some astringency into the third.

Paul

Well considering in ancient times the third runnings was often called the table or kid's beer it more than likely would still be a drinkable extremely low alcohol beer I don't think that will really be much of an issue, and he can always bump it up some with extract...And as too tannis/astringency, meh, I think that worry too is over-rated.

As I've said, I've never made a 3rd runnings beer, so as far as astringency, you may be right, it may matter not a wit. However, by my way of thinking, these 3rd runnings would be better served if they were left into the second. I personnally can't see fermenting 2 1/2 gallons of beer less than 1.030 og. when those fermentables could be used to step up a second beer by several points, to say 1.054 og.
Kids beer dosen't always make it good beer, I think.

As I've said, I've never made a 3rd runnings beer, so as far as astringency, you may be right, it may matter not a wit. However, by my way of thinking, these 3rd runnings would be better served if they were left into the second. I personnally can't see fermenting 2 1/2 gallons of beer less than 1.030 og. when those fermentables could be used to step up a second beer by several points, to say 1.054 og.
Kids beer dosen't always make it good beer, I think.

I've no idea what will happen and I thought I was going to be using 21 lbs of grains but upon further investigation, I'm only using 19.5. With this in mind, I'm not sure if I will attempt to do a 3rd running. But at the same time, I may just add another gallon to my sparge and take a gallon out of the sparge to make a 1 gallon beer along side my IIPA. I guess if I did that, maybe I could do a second running of a gallon and a half to add to that gallon.. then boil off, say, .5-1 gallon or so and make a beer with that. That way, I could have 1.5-2 more gallons of beer and one slightly less ABV IIPA. Eh, I'll ponder this more and see what I decide to do. Could just add some DME and make a pale ale, I suppose.

It works out very well, I just put 11 gals of Barleywine into primary and I used the second and third running to make 13.5 gals of Braggot along with 17lbs of honey. I divided my batch in half, 14.5 gal pre-boil volume for each batch. I used 71.5 lbs of grain and got a system eff of 78%. After boil my Barleywine started at 1.112 and the beer side of the Braggot started at 1.058. If I really wanted to I probably could have gotten a final 5 gal batch at around 1.030-1.025 post boil.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

This page helped tremendously.

It works out very well, I just put 11 gals of Barleywine into primary and I used the second and third running to make 13.5 gals of Braggot along with 17lbs of honey. I divided my batch in half, 14.5 gal pre-boil volume for each batch. I used 71.5 lbs of grain and got a system eff of 78%. After boil my Barleywine started at 1.112 and the beer side of the Braggot started at 1.058. If I really wanted to I probably could have gotten a final 5 gal batch at around 1.030-1.025 post boil.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

This page helped tremendously.

SWEET LORD! 72 lbs! that is outstanding!

150qt Igloo Cold Max, $70 at Sams. The valve was a little tricky because the hole was so big but I got it working. The lid on it was already filled with insulation so it kept temp extremely well.

Latest posts

Back