Making a 150gpd RO system quick-connect/portable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnolobster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a fairly fast RO system and stuffed it into a bucket or some kind of container and made it easy to hook up a RV hose and run the output right into the HLT/MLT to prep for a brew day? I usually have a solid hour or 2 (or more) of real prep, and a 150gpd RO system from Buckeye Hydro should easily give enough water in that time, I think?
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/premium-ro-systems/

I'm new to even looking at RO, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything significant here. In the past I've just ran city water from a RV hose through a carbon activated 10" filter at a low (.25gpm-ish) rate and hoped for the best. I'm trying to get a little more serious with water, but the city supply is rather variable so RO seems like it gets me much closer to a comparatively consistent state.

If I understand RO, the one I'm looking at is just 3 filters/stages, an input, output and wastewater drain and somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.25 GPH. Can I just otherwise treat it like I do my 10" charcoal filter?

All the $100 RO systems can be treated as portable since every connection between components uses push to connect PE hoses and fittings. More importantly, rather than a fast system you can do with a clamp on float valve that will just stop the system from making more water as soon as your vessel is full.

Back