Makin a coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
What is the best way to get the coffee flavor i desire? I have heard some beans or ground coffee in the sec does the trick. It is a 5 gal batch and im just looking for a moderate amount of coffee flavor, not too much, not too little.

Try a mix of Chocolate malt and roasted barley. I added a pound of roasted barley and .5 of chocolate malt to my stout and it added a nice roasty but coffee taste to mine I think if I had pitched in some ground coffee or some brewed expresso it would of added a really potent coffee taste. Personally, if I did a coffee stout I would of just upped the chocolate malt to .75# and the roasted barley to 1.25#.

See my Mocha Stout recipe in my signature line. Cold brewed coffee added to secondary is really smooth and avoids coffee bitterness.

Ground coffee in the secondary is the way to go!

In my Reindeere Fuel Stout, 1# of coffee in a growler with cold water left in the fridgerator over night and added to the secondary makes a VERY strong coffee flavor!
For a standard coffee stout...Plan your grains well, then use 1/4 # of ground coffee cold brewed in 1/2 gallon of water.

Back