Makeshift wild/sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I brewed up a couple of gallons of rice wine for cooking purposes. The "wine" is really sour now, too sour for my wife's cooking preferences. I was thinking about brewing up an ale of some sort and adding a few quarts of the soured wine at the end of the boil to make a sour beer. Maybe a faux Berlinner Weisse? Anybody tried anything like this?

Ben

Yeah it has sort of a citrus/vinegary sourness to it.

I recently read about a Guiness draught clone that used "soured" Guiness to give the beer its "twang". The brewer took 2 pints of Guiness let it sit in a bowl on his kitchen counter for several days--thus souring the beer. He then added this soured beer to his kettle with 10 minutes left in the boil.

adding rice wine vinegar to your beer is a lot different than adding beer to your beer.

There is different kinds of sour, and vinegar/sour is a whole different beast. That type of sour wont blend well with just anything. I would do a dark belgian beer, or a flanders red.

Back