Makeshift Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there is any way to use a wide open container that doesn't have an airtight lid as a fermenter somehow? I'm on a budget of close to nothing and just wanna make a 10l skeeter pee brew but struggling to find anything for free or cheap here in Germany. Any suggestions?

you could get away with your wide mouth container with a clean kitchen towel or two covering the opening for primary fermentation but you would need something with a smaller amount of headspace and a airlock stopper for secondary fermentation.

Do you need to do a secondary fermentation for wine/cider?

I recently fermented a large batch of beer in a 20 gallon stainless kettle.

I covered the top with Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then wrapped the circumference with electrical tape to seal it well, and fermented 12 days, without issue IMO.

This is not a long term solution. Once fermentation is over you should likely transfer to a more closed vessel.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Basically any vessel that is large enough and can be sanitized properly can be used as a fermenter. Here in the states, Home Depot sells 5 gallon food grade storage buckets for about $5.00, look around in Germany and see if any of your big box stores sell food grade buckets. They will usually be white and have a big label on them stating that they are safe for food storage. Grab a locking lid for it, drill a hole in the lid for the air lock and you can have a fermentor for about $8.00 or so. You will need two to split the batch up if you are making a 5 gallon brew though, not enough head space otherwise. But still, $16 for two fermentors is not bad.

Latest posts

Back