make a low abv ale and clean out the cupboards at the same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apshaffer

Reaction score
I want to make a low abv ale with the grain and hops I have on hand. Shooting for 10 gallons, 75% efficiency. I'm at work and don't have access to beersmith, so this is all from memory.

Here's the grain bill I was tinkering with:

8.5# 2 Row (54%)
2.5# Vienna (16%)
2.25# Munich (14%)
1.5# C40 (9%)
1# Carapils (6%)

That's all the 2 row, vienna and munich I have. I have more C40 and carapils, along with various amounts of C10, C120, chocolate malt, white wheat, flaked oats, special b, black malt and few others. I was considering using a pound or so of white wheat or oats and less c40. I'm open to suggestions on the grail bill. But, I really don't want to buy anything extra.

For hops I have magnum, cascade, chinook, willamette, saaz, and hallertau. I was thinking of somewhere around 30-40 ibus.

.75 oz Magnum FWH
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Willamette @ 10
.5 oz Cascade @ 5
.5 oz Willamette @ 5
2 oz Cascade @ Flame Out

That should put the ibu's in the mid-30s. I may dry hop one of the kegs, kinda undecided on that.

For yeast, I was thinking S-04. I don't have any yeast on hand, so I am open to suggestions. I am leaning toward dry yeast for simplicities sake, but I'm not opposed to making a starter.

The plan is to mash high, say 154-56, for 60 minutes. Do a 90 minute boil. Ferment on the low end of the yeast. If I remember correctly, OG would be 1.042ish, with FG around 1.010. ABV would be around 4. The goal is a full bodied, balanced, low abv ale.

Suggestions? Advice? I don't usually make beers with an OG of lower than 1.050. Thanks in advance.

Back