Major Aggressive Fermentation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk230006

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a batch fermaent very rapidly and foam over a bucket in less than 24 hours, see my photo. This was 6 gallons of wort from a bag and Salale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast. Temp was 69.9F ......
Have made many batches and never seen this happen.... Gravity after 3 days is 1.015...... Blow out.jpg

other than the loose lid. Is there usually an airlock or vent of some sort for the CO2 present on that type of bucket FV?

I've yet to experience anything as interesting I'm afraid. I typically ferment my ales quite a bit cooler than those temperatures though. That plays a big role.

Brilliant picture. One of the best (non-ceiling involved) blow ups I've seen. Congrats to you and your tasty beer.:)

Anyone ever have a batch fermaent very rapidly and foam over a bucket in less than 24 hours, see my photo. This was 6 gallons of wort from a bag and Salale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast. Temp was 69.9F ......
Have made many batches and never seen this happen.... Gravity after 3 days is 1.015...... View attachment 327134

Temp is shown in F degrees, below 70F .........

S04 is a known beast if left to its own accord.
Temperature control becomes a major ally (ie: it could've been a lot worse ;))

Cheers!

Even at 70deg F 04 may have that blowoff but that's a monstrous krausen to cover all that headspace and still blow over. I've had wlp002 which I think is a similar strain go nuts in a big RIS where I was scooping krausen out of the blow off vessel and the temp was pretty close to yours. It's a violent yeast for sure, impressive to watch in peak fermentation, I would describe it as violent.

my last batch of 15 gallons fermented complete in 3 days with a good charge of nottingham at 67 F. I have to agree, 23 liters with a krauzen that high is impressive. :rockin:

That is the fastest I've seen yeast get beer to that gravity level. I used some Irish ale yeast and lost 1.5-2 gallons due to blow off. I created a device to recollect the wort in situations like my precious one. I would also suggest keeping the temp a bit lower.

daang! awesome! I've popped stoppers out of the carboy before but never had that much carnage!
I remember s-04 being a workhorse last time I used it. the most gnarly yeast I've used to date was and is wlp090! it finished in almost 24 hours..ridiculous.

If you think that's a mess, imagine having 4 at the same time!

Andrew you should post that picture if you still have it!

I always throw in a handful of drops of Fermcap-S whenever I do ale fermentation. Doesn't reduce the kraussen to nothing but really helps keep it down. One of the reasons I do lagers 90% of the time now is because I typically travel all week so I can't monitor a blow off situation. And the beers are better.

I always throw in a handful of drops of Fermcap-S whenever I do ale fermentation. Doesn't reduce the kraussen to nothing but really helps keep it down. One of the reasons I do lagers 90% of the time now is because I typically travel all week so I can't monitor a blow off situation. And the beers are better.

Seconding the FermCap, but even it's not a perfect solution; I had a fermcapped National Red surge up through the blowoff tube and deposit probably half a cup of foam into the blowoff vessel a couple weeks ago.

Andrew you should post that picture if you still have it!

Here's a sweet pic of some blowoff carnage, and another showing my experiments with various methods of blowoff control.

img_9759-65167.jpg

blowoff_city-41491.jpg

Here's a sweet pic of some blowoff carnage, and another showing my experiments with various methods of blowoff control.

What size carboys are those in the pictures, is that a deep freezer and if so what size in cubic feet? In looking to add on a larger one when I purchase a house and keep my smaller 7.1 cu ft for kegs.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I remember a few years back a guy coming on asking if he should bother with a blow off tube. He showed a pic of his fermenter sitting in the closet next to his wife's wedding dress.

I often wonder if that guy is still among us.

And for the OP, I still haven't repainted the bathroom ceiling from my last explosive blow off.

What size carboys are those in the pictures, is that a deep freezer and if so what size in cubic feet? In looking to add on a larger one when I purchase a house and keep my smaller 7.1 cu ft for kegs.

Those are 6g better bottles. I use a 7.1 for a keezer (4 tap) and the large freezer for fermenting, just as you're proposing.

That's probably a 15.8 cuft freezer. It held 6 of those better bottles. It died. I now have a 14.8 cuft freezer that also holds six 6g better bottles ( and a pumpkin see pic). It's pretty tight, and I imagine that some manuf models of that size wouldn't hold that many if their dimensions were different in any way, including the size of the compressor hump.

I got rid of the the better bottles, and now use 6.5g Big Mouth Bubblers. Although they have more volume, the diameter is smaller, and they work much better. Six of them fit much more easily in one of these freezers. Another pic below.

fermenting-with-pumpkin-61277.jpg

_mg_1184-66367.jpg

Have made many batches and never seen this happen.... Gravity after 3 days is 1.015...... View attachment 327134

Wowie! That is awesome! Try adding some Fermcap when you pitch next time and it should help alleviate that problem

Beer at was 69.8 F, temp did rise after all this activity to 75.7 F

69.8F is too warm...75.7 is way too hot for S-04. This strain throws major fruit/funky esters in the mid-high 70's. Try shooting for a temp in the mid 60's next time.

agreed, you definitely want to shoot for the mid 60s at the highest with that strain

@passedpawn - so...did that pumpkin explode in your fermentation chamber or what? use a blowoff tube next time you ferment in a pumpkin dude. you can stick it into the stem

Thanks, this is how to learn. Everything I read after I did it talks about the yeast and to use it at a low temperature. I had no idea what I was dealing with and learned a lesson the hard way. The guy at the store obviously didnt know when he sugested the yeast with the kit I bought. If he knew anything he would have warned me....... I will give him feedback

If you pitch a healthy 11 gram pack of S04 in five gallons of well-prepared 60 point wort at, say, 70°F ambient, and just let that beyotch run wild, it'll hit FG within 48 hours, guaranteed.

I'm 6' 4" in the morning and ~230 pounds and can't even imagine eating six pounds of sugar in 48 hours.

11 grams of yeast. I still find it amazing...

Cheers!

I pitched a starter of some San Diego Super into my ipa I brewed this weekend. So glad I went the blow off route (airlock had crossed my mind for a second). Its been 48 hours since I pitched when I checked on it last night, she was still bubbling away vigorously!

I love this stuff!

Well, I have had the Beer bottled for 5-6 weeks now, its very dark but that was expected. It actually doesn't taste bad and has very nice carbonation. Didn't have any nasty taste and very good clarity. Got a good finish gravity, was about 6 percent.....

Back