major accident with my kolsch today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSnakeJake

Reaction score
so i transferred my kolsch to my secondary a few minutes ago, and i went to move it down to my basement for the cooler temperature. as i was walking down the stairs, my damn idiot cat ran under my feet and i stepped on it. i fell down the stairs and my carboy fell with me... luckily it was a plastic better bottle, but i lost about a gallon or more of beer and it was obviously oxygenated and shaken up VERY much. is this batch ruined? should i even bother bottling it? i am soooo angry right now i am seeing red...

yeah, bottle it, itll be fine you might just want to drink it a bit sooner than you normally would.

I always thought Kolsch tasted best when it was a young beer anyway, so bottle it up and drink it quick, it should be fine. If nothing else, you might have roused a little yeast left and they should quickly purge out any headspace o2 in the carboy. Its good to hear you weren't hurt.

i once poured a gallon or so of freshly boiled wort down the stairs... freaky experience...

as recommended, definitely bottle it and drink away... damn cat.

thanks for the advice... so, how soon should i bottle it? i was going to leave it in the secondary for about 2 weeks. should i bottle it sooner?

thanks for the advice... so, how soon should i bottle it? i was going to leave it in the secondary for about 2 weeks. should i bottle it sooner?

Usually when I move to the secondary I let it sit a week, but it visibly clears in a day or two. I would bottle it as soon as it clears.

I don't think there is a rush to bottle it.
You should check the gravity and make sure it's finished before you bottle.
But once bottled, you might want to drink it and not try to keep it around to long.

One option would be to go ahead and bottle it now (assuming it has hit FG) because some of the newly added O2 might be consumed by the yeast during bottle conditioning.... otherwise just bottle as normal...

You can always cold condition after bottle conditioning.

Just my $0.02

i would tend to agree with bottling it within the next few days, then cold condition it once you get it carbed up.

Everytime I go to the basement to check my brews' fermentation my son's cat follows me down. I can see this happening at some point!

Back