Maintaining Coconut Flavor/Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Brewed up a coconut porter a few weeks back. Toasted 1 lb of coconut and added to the fermenter for 7-10 days. This is the 2nd time making this beer.

It’s been in the keg now for about 3-4 weeks and the coconut flavor has already faded. I’ve made this beer with coconut in the keg and had the same problems. Coconut fades once in the keg for about 2-3 weeks.

Any advice on how to maintain coconut flavors in the beer?

It’s incredibly faint. Like I said, this isn’t the first time. I may add some extract to the keg. Any advice as to how much?

I would go maybe 4 oz to start . You can always add. You also could pour 1 pint then add a ml at a time for taste then multiply by the amount in your keg .

I'm going on 4 weeks now with my Mango Coconut Milkshake IPA in keg and i'm still getting plenty of coconut. I only used 7oz toasted Coconut in the fermenter on this and its got a perfect amount of flavor. Did you toast the coconut first? How did you add it to your beer? How long was it in contact?

Yes, i toasted 14 oz. in the oven. Toasted them on a paper towel, so the paper towels would soak up the oils, so i wouldn't lose head retention. Sat in the fermenter with the beer for about 5-7 days.

Latest posts

Back