Maintaining a cold kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinBrimer

Reaction score
I'm still trying to piece together the prime kegerator fridge candidates. From what I've read so far, it looks like its tough to maintain a colder internal temperature - most linger in the 38-40º range. So I wondered - why not use a fridge with the freezer module up top? Is this because everybody runs their tap towers through the top, thus running into said freezer module?

My plans for building one will have the fridge sliding under a countertop and between base cabinets - so, it would it matter if my lines came out of a viable side of the fridge and then up through the countertop? Would you guys think it would be easier to maintain a colder overall temp with the freezer component?

Am I totally barking up the wrong tree? lol. What have you all found to be the best fridge choice to go with lately?

Thanks guys!

Dustin

Chest freezer conversion. 7cft fits three 5 gallon kegs and a 25 lb tank nicely. You can open the top for maintenance, removing/adding kegs with out losing the cold, and it makes a great buffett table in the kitchen or dining room.

That's something I hadn't really considered...have you put a setup like that together Nanobru? Anybody else out there have experience using a chest freezer as a kegerator?

there are tons of them on here. I added a coller to mine and put it on wheels, and added insulation to the top half.
I left the outside white, the three (soon to be four) taps come out the front of the coller. the CO2 tank hangs on the side so I can see the gage.
Lots of them on here to look at from simple like mine to awesome builds, just do a search.

checkout craigslist for cheap chest freezers. i have bought two off there.

the one i am currently using, i removed the lid, built a new one from 1x6, and put my 2 tap tower on it. not exactly sure of the size but it will hold a commercial 1/2 barrel plus 2 cornies. i put mine on wheels and have a box built on the back for the co2.

i agree with rekoob, there are a bunch of threads on HBT about keezers.

Back