Maintaining a Bourbon Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafCutter

Reaction score
Part I: I need to keep a bourbon barrel wet because I won't have a chance to brew for a week or so. It's currently dry and has been for about 1 month. It was emptied in November after sitting 2 years with bourbon in it. Should I just leave it until I fill it with beer, maybe late January? Or should I put some whiskey in it?

Part II: I have sour mashed whiskey around the house.(you probably know the one) This may seem like a dumb question, but will a sour mashed whiskey contain any lactic / funky bacteria? I'm thinking no, simply because it's spirits and nothing can survive, but who knows. I don't want to 'infect' a barrel that should be clean of all funk. Any input would be greatly appreciated, or any advice on bourbon barrel upkeep. Cheers and happy holidays.

Boil 2 gal of water to sterilize. Then dump it in barrel hot this will draw out anything in the wood and soak in quicker. Put the bung in to retain steam. Roll barrel a few times a week till water is gone then dump whatever Bourbon you have in this will sanitize and re-season with the flavor you want for your beer. Also don't cheat your beer time in barrel! It will pay to let it big beers sit.

I have 2 Buffalo Trace Barrels and this is how I Handel them, We are doing a 60gal brew day on the Jan 1st.Black Barleywine to fill a Barrel, plan on aging for 5 months at least.

Thank you darkness. How did your black barley wine turn out? Care to share recipe?

Latest posts

Back