Mainiacal Yeast - Juggernaut tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer666

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of the tolerance for Juggernaut? Planning on a 12% barley wine with it and thought the fruitiness might go well.

I believe it would be best to contact Mainiacal Yeast. But kveik yeast usually can handle up to 11-12%, so it might work. Juggernaut is a blend of 20 something kveik strains, so maybe it's got some limitations, although I doubt it, seeing that kveik is such a powerhouse of an yeast.

@thehaze Thanks for the reply, i was thinking along the same lines as you. I could use Voss again but i fancy trying a different yeast. I read Framgarden is suitable but i don't have any ready.
Might have to pick your brain on tonka beans, i noticed them in your sig. I did a 3 bean RIS with and was a very unusual flavour.

If anyone is on their fb group please ask for me, i do not have an account.

What's the unusual flavour? Tonka can be really overpowering to the point, that is becomes unpleasent. It works better in the background, along with other flavours.

What's the unusual flavour? Tonka can be really overpowering to the point, that is becomes unpleasent. It works better in the background, along with other flavours.
It was definitely the tonka beans but it came out really tasty. Unfortunately i did not take notes but i seem to remember using very little grated in secondary. How much do you use? i also like the idea of cinnamon.

I'll use 1 or 2 beans, most likely split between a lower temp. whirlpool and post fermentation, before packaging.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back