Mail order yeast in the summer in the South

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCypress

Reaction score
So I ordered my third beer kit from Northern Brewer the other day and decided to go with the Wyeast smackpack for the first time. My first two batches have turned out just fine using Safale US-04 and US-05, but I wanted to try something new. I also sprung for the ice pack upon ordering.

And that was fine, until after it shipped and I realized that the stuff would be sitting in the back of a truck and in and out of warehouses for five days amid this horrible heat wave. Not to mention that I live in South Florida, where the afternoon temperatures reach eleventy billion every day this time of year.

So should I be worried about my yeastie boys making it here safe and sound? Talk me down, people! (And I'd RDWHAHB but I'm sneaking in a post while at work).

I'm new to this, but make yourself a starter and maximize the opportunity to get those yeasties to do their job. I am in TX and routinely order cold packs with my yeast (and they arrive super hot) and starters seem to work well for me.

It's all about getting enough bacteria to due it's job. Do what you can with the tools at your disposal, so far from what I have experienced and read, you can control what you end up with.

So I ordered my third beer kit from Northern Brewer the other day and decided to go with the Wyeast smackpack for the first time. My first two batches have turned out just fine using Safale US-04 and US-05, but I wanted to try something new. I also sprung for the ice pack upon ordering.

And that was fine, until after it shipped and I realized that the stuff would be sitting in the back of a truck and in and out of warehouses for five days amid this horrible heat wave. Not to mention that I live in South Florida, where the afternoon temperatures reach eleventy billion every day this time of year.

So should I be worried about my yeastie boys making it here safe and sound? Talk me down, people! (And I'd RDWHAHB but I'm sneaking in a post while at work).

Stick w/dry yeast in the summer.

Stick w/dry yeast in the summer.

I do not know if I agree with this. It all depends on what beer your are brewing. Some beers are fantastic with dry yeast, but if you are into a beer where the yeast makes a big difference in final taste, I would just purchase a double kit / cooler / make a starter; and focus on that.

Dry yeast is fantastic, do not underestimate it. It all depends on what you are trying to brew.

What I think what he was saying was stick with a dry yeast if you are having to have the yeast shipped in the heat. I think if you make a starter you should be fine

We're in Virginia, which is also quite hot and humid, and we ordered liquid yeast with an ice pack from Midwest, made a starter, and needed a blow-off tube on our primary it was so active.

Order two or three kits at a time and get the 7 dollar cooler and buy am extra ice pack. It made it to my house in Memphis decently cold after 4 days if transport. But also as others have said make a starter to ensure viability.

I would buy yeast locally... I typically order grains and hops online and buy only specialty grains and yeast at the local brew shop. Works well and it better cold chain management for the liquid yeasties!

Thanks for the tips and info, everybody. Sadly, LHBS isn't an option here.

That sucks :( You can always use my LHBS here in Tallahassee, I checked shipping and it's 8.60 for UPS ground, they say it'll be in transit 1-day. They're really knowledgable and super cool. Whenever I buy yeast in the shop they icepack it for me, just for my 15min drive home =P Their website is www.homebrewden.com if you're interested!

South Florida? There is supposidly a shop in Miami, and I live in Palm Beach and go to BxBeerDepot on 2nd Ave North in Lake Worth. If either is too far a drive I get it, but if not it might be worth looking into. As for tubes I wouldn't know I'm new to this and have only use Notty and S-04 dry.

I got my yeast in from Northern brewer last week, and I'm in Orlando. It was a bit warm. My infrared thermometer said it was at 80 when it got here, and the ice pack was completely melted. I did a started and it was up and running in no time. Beer is currently in the fermentor and pumping away. I think you should be fine, but defiantly do a starter just to make sure. Here's what Northern Brewers has to say about this "we can replace the yeast, but not a batch that fails to ferment properly." So just make a starter, to make sure everything is still working, and get ready for some delicious beer.

I'm in the same situation! I ordered two vials from Midwest. They shipped July 19 and arrived today, July 23. I ordered the insulated pouch with one ice pack.

Four days in the heat and I measured the temp of the pack when I got it... 90 degrees. I'm running one starter on the stir plate now and put the other vial in the fridge. I think the one in the starter will be fine (WLP007 Dry English Ale), but I'm a bit worried about the giant temp change from 90 to fridge temps. I assume a starter will revive some of that yeast, anyway (WLP004 Irish Ale).

Wish me luck!! I'll be brewing a dry APA on Monday (if the starter works out ok).

I ordered liquid yeast from Austin Homebrew with an ice pack. Starter is going on day four with no sign of life. LHBS for me from now on . . .

Thanks for the tips and info, everybody. Sadly, LHBS isn't an option here.

If you ever have a reason to be in Tampa check out Southern Brewing Supply on Busch Blvd. It may be a 2-3 hour drive for you but it's the best place on Earth! Get a cooler and stock up for the summer.

I ordered liquid yeast from Austin Homebrew with an ice pack. Starter is going on day four with no sign of life. LHBS for me from now on . . .

It's been over 100 degrees in the Austin area. As soon it leaves the store, it's in an oven.

Right now I would order 2-3 icepacks with my yeast orders. I am postponing my brewing schedule by a few weeks and that means ordering supplies will be done later.

I also may be heading to the LHBS... but I've got a chance left! My double-o-seven is on the stir plate and is slightly milky. I think it's working, but it's even slower than a frozen vial of WLP300 worked a month ago. I may increase the starter from a quart jar to my new 2L Erlenmeyer.

I ordered an extract kit from AHS last sunday. It arrived on Thursday hotter than hell. I only ordered one ice pack which was melted and my smack pack was hot to the touch. My kit basically followed the heat wave east and arrived at my house while the temperature was near 100. I was using Wyeast American Ale II and thought it may well be dead. I did a 1.5 liter starter and after 36 hours I had a thin white layer on the bottom of my starter. I brewed on Saturday and figured I would go ahead and pitch the entire starter and see what happens. By sunday morning my airlock was bubbling, slowly but surely. This morning it was going damn near crazy with a bubble ever 5 seconds or so. If my yeast survived what it went through I really believe you can ship liquid yeast anywhere in the country this time of year and have success 99% of the time. The key is to make a starter.

I also may be heading to the LHBS... but I've got a chance left! My double-o-seven is on the stir plate and is slightly milky. I think it's working, but it's even slower than a frozen vial of WLP300 worked a month ago. I may increase the starter from a quart jar to my new 2L Erlenmeyer.

And Monday night there was some Krausen on top of my starter! I think it'll be OK for brew day tonight or tomorrow...

Now I just hope the other vial (WLP004) that I threw in the fridge is also OK... brewing Irish Stout in a week or two.

Latest posts

Back