Maibok recipe critiques welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Hi there. My holiday present to myself this year was a chest freezer off of Craigslist and a Love controller, which should be here soon. Now that I'll have solid temperature control, I'm planning on jumping into lager brewing. Can't wait. Considering Dead Guy Ale is one of my favorite beers, I wanted to brew up a maibock as my first attempt. I was curious to get some thoughts on the following maibock recipe.

10 lbs. Pilsner
4 lbs. Munich 10L
[Beer Calculus says this gets me 1.069 OG at 70% efficiency]

Mash at 156F for 45-60 minutes.

0.75 oz. Magnum (10%) (60 min)
0.6 oz. Hallertau (3.1%) (20 min)
0.6 oz. Saaz (3.5%) (20 min)
[Beer Calculus tells me this will get me around 27 IBU]

WL833, big starter, fermented at 50F and then lagered in the 36-39F range for a few weeks.

Thanks for any thoughts!

personally I'd mash around 150 to let the beer finish dryer which I would prefer in a beer like this. Otherwise I think it looks pretty good.

Quick update on this. I brewed up the recipe as described above today, but decided at the last minute to move the 20 minute hop charges to 15 minutes. We'll see how it turns out.

Today was also my first attempt at using the Therminator to chill my wort after the boil. Let's just say that, due to imprecision on my part, the plate chilling process went south very quickly and resulted in a frosty silence from SWMBO for about an hour. I was able to salvage the brew, but, given that "fun" experience, I've decided to name this beer Helles In The Kitchen. (AKA the site of the near disaster.) Hopefully, it turns out.

I thought maibocks were supposed to have a good amount of body? Wouldn't 150 make it a little dry?

No, not with all that malt although you do want a dry finish IMO. In fact I'd mash @ 148F and also use a decoction, 128F/148F. You could add a rest in the high 150s to that if you wanted but, again IMO, a single mash @ 156F is too high for this style. To respond to your first post, I know you have already brewed the beer but I'd suggest Vienna instead of Munich in a Maibock. :mug:

Latest posts

Back