Maharaja Clone Recipe IBU Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
Below is the Maharaja clone recipe from the Avery website. The Avery site lists Maharaja as having 102 IBUs and something between 10-12%. I understand the recipe changes from year to year. When I put the recipe into BeerSmith, the IBUs come out to about 70. I note that BeerSmith doesn't give any IBUs to the flameout hops (about 4 ounces). In any event, it doesn't seem that the Avery recipe has enough bittering hops.

Some other recipes out there have 15 minute additions too.

If anyone has brewed the Avery recipe or otherwise has thoughts on the IBUs for Maharaja, I'd appreciate a reply. Also, when making a recipe, how do you calculate IBUs for flameout hops?

Thank you.

The Maharaja Imperial IPA
OG: 1.090
AE: 1.012
Grist:
Pale 2-Row – 93.8%
Victory Malt – 3.1%
C-120 – 3.1%
Hops:
60 min – Columbus (13.9% AA) – 1.09 oz
30 min – Columbus (13.9% AA) – 1.09 oz
0 min – Centennial (13.9% AA) – 2.18 oz
0 min – Simcoe (11.4% AA) – 2.18 oz
Dry-Hop – Simcoe – 4.38 oz
Dry-Hop – Centennial – 2.18 oz
Dry-Hop – Chinook – 2.18 oz
Yeast – California
Ferm Temp – 68F

What? No responses, not even from Yooper!y

Wow - has my question been answered a gazillion times already? Just a dumb question or a stumper?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BeerSmith 2 now lets you add hot steep/whirlpool time for flameout hops and when set that way it calculates IBU's.

It appears, according to beersmith, that 1oz of hops boiled for 30 minutes gives you the same ibu's of 2oz of the same hops steeped for 30 minutes.
so 1oz Centenial 13.9% boiled 30mins approximately 25.9IBU's
and 2oz Centennial 13.9% steeped for 30mins approximately 25.9IBU's

Basically add flameout hops then wait 30minutes before chilling, this is the small scale equivalent to the slow painful process of large breweries chilling their wort.

And changing those flameout to steep hops in beersmith gives me 106.6 IBU's with a 90minute boil

Thank you aStoutObserver and Beezer94.

Using whirlpool/steep instead of flameout in BeerSmith did the trick.

Thanks again.

I don't believe your gonna get the same utilization from your 0 min hops as Avery is getting.
I brew imperial I PA often. I would add more hops to the boil. Use beersmith to calculate 100 IBUs without the 0 min hops

I don't believe your gonna get the same utilization from your 0 min hops as Avery is getting.
I brew imperial I PA often. I would add more hops to the boil. Use beersmith to calculate 100 IBUs without the 0 min hops

old thread, but I feel the need to chime in. BS2, in my experience, way over estimates the utilization from steeps. I just calculate all of my IBUs for the boil and steep as if they provide nothing. Which, is pretty accurate in my case since my water boils at 202 and getting down to 180 does not take long

Back