magnum and mosiac pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been brewing for a few years now and have made tons of good beer by now.

But I have done very few pale ales.

I got my hands on some Mosiac hops, (11.8% 4.5 oz.) and Im thinking about using them in an APA
Its just that 4.5 oz. won´t be enough for a single hop pale ale since I make 15.5 gal. batches.

So I am thinking about using some other hop for the 60 min. and even 30 min. additions and saving the Mosiac for late and dry hopping.

But what to use? I have almost 2 lbs of Magnum so using them would be preferred but I also have a few oz. of Amarillo and Centennial plus a range of other low aa% hops.

So I ask you fellow brewers and hop heads, how would these two hops go together?

I was thinking about doing:
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
20.0 % 1.00 Magnum Pellet 15.0 15.0 60 0.236 17.2
20.0 % 1.00 Magnum Pellet 15.0 15.0 30 0.181 13.2
20.0 % 1.00 Mosiac Pellet 11.9 11.9 15 0.117 6.8
20.0 % 1.00 Mosiac Pellet 11.9 11.9 5 0.047 2.7
20.0 % 1.00 Mosiac Pellet 11.9 11.9 DH 0.000 0.0

A simple grain bill of Pale Ale Malt, Light Crystal and CaraPils making an OG of about 1.057 and using fermentis US-05 in a half gal. starter.

I am looking for a fresh and complex APA that is drinkable and without an IPA-like hop intensity, but still hoppy.

I sure would appreciate your input on this one.
Can you help me out?

That hop schedule should give me about 42 IBU´s
Grain bill 92% Pale. 4% Crystal 40 and 4% CaraPils

I just got some mosaic as well, but I'm going to do a SMaSH as an introduction. I've never brewed with it before so I can't offer any advice.

I've only got 3 ounces, but I'm probably doing much closer to 5 gallons depending on the IBUs I want to hit.

Well I think I might tone things down a bit. That hop schedule I posted above will most likely give me an IPA type of beer.

How does this look?
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
35.9 % 1.68 Magnum Pellet 15.0 25.2 60 0.248 30.4
21.4 % 1.00 Mosaic Pellet 11.9 11.9 30 0.191 11.0
10.7 % 0.50 Mosaic Pellet 11.9 6.0 15 0.123 3.6
10.7 % 0.50 Mosaic Pellet 11.9 6.0 5 0.049 1.4
21.4 % 1.00 Mosaic Pellet 11.9 11.9 DH 0.000 0.0

46 IBU is a bit high for an APA but still no IPA

This is perhaps a bit clearer

35.9 % 1.68 oz. Magnum Pellet 15.0 % for 60 min.
21.4 % 1.00 oz. Mosaic Pellet 11.9 % for 30 min.
10.7 % 0.50 oz. Mosaic Pellet 11.9 % for 15 min.
10.7 % 0.50 oz. Mosaic Pellet 11.9 % for 5 min.
21.4 % 1.00 oz. Mosaic Pellet 11.9 % Dry hops

Brew pot set up for an experimental APA tomorrow morning.
It would be a shame to throw these Mosiac hops into something undrinkable. Lets just hope I got the schedule right :)

IMG_0267.jpg

I recently did a Citra Pale Ale. Used 2 oz of Magnum at 60 min, .5oz of Citra @ 20 mins and .5 Citra every 5 min after that with 1 oz at flame out. Dry hopped with 3 oz of Mosaic for 7days. Let me just say, this came out AWESOME!. Took some to a local microbrewery where I become friends w/ the brewmaster. His first reaction when he was tasting it was a huge smile!!! He really liked it and said he wished he could get large qty's to make a beer with but its not available to buy in qty large enough. He asked if he could save the 2nd bottle to share w/ an employee later that evening. Little did I know, the employee also works at my LHBS. I took some there the following weekend and he told me he had just been telling the owner and other employees how good it was. When he saw that I brought 2 for them to try he could hardly wait to open them and share! Made me feel really good and it was cool because the kit (extract) that I adapted with the Mosaic was one of their employees creations.

Thanks.

This is an all-in-one, all homemade electric mash tun and boil pot.

A 20 gal. pot with two 2 KW (240v) elements and a 20 f. 3/4" internal stainless cooling coil
An inner drum for grains with a perforated bottom and a windshield wiper motor that turns an axle with blades on it to turn the mash as it is fed with fresh wort from the bottom.
The box on the floor has a PID controller coupled to a SSR with switches for both the heating elements and pump.
We also have an immersion chiller that plugs inline for cooling. On the photo it is set up for fast heating. We have unlimited 80°c (180°f) hot tap water over here so we use it to for a fast warm up by running it through the internal coil

I recently did a Citra Pale Ale. Used 2 oz of Magnum at 60 min, .5oz of Citra @ 20 mins and .5 Citra every 5 min after that with 1 oz at flame out. Dry hopped with 3 oz of Mosaic for 7days. Let me just say, this came out AWESOME!

If I use 1.68 oz. Magnum and substitute the Citra with Mosiac using your schedule I get 42 IBU = Spot-On
That also gives me 1.5 oz. left-over for dry hopping.

I thing you may have just nailed it
Thank you

The recipe I used was developed by a guy at the LHBS. There is some specialty grains used as well. He used ProMash software and according to his recipe this comes out to 150 IBU's. I don't know how the dry hop addition affects the IBU rating but the orig. had 3oz of Citra in place of Mosaic. Yeast was S-04. Does that make sense compared to your calculations? Is the IBU rating going to be different doing your AG recipe?

That is why I only get 42 IBU from the same amount of hops. I make 15.5 gal batches.

I just finished doing this pale ale and am very hopeful about it. Look forward to try them Mosaic hops

I will for sure.
I'll also get some local home brewing mates of mine to give it a try.
In about an hour or so couple of my mates are coming over to try my double stout. A beer I belive is the best I have ever made

Latest posts

Back