magnetic seal for kegerator/keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdee1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a concept in mind for a build but I know it will require a pretty good sealing mechanism. I'm wondering if anybody has found/used a general purpose magnetic seal similar to what you'd find on a fridge, that can be cut to whatever shape/size opening you need.

I've done some quick searching and most of what I see doesn't look very promising. In particular, it's not clear to me how I'd securely mount it to a wooden frame (for example). It needs to be able to resist open/close cycles without pulling off.

Any ideas?

Hi all,

I have a concept in mind for a build but I know it will require a pretty good sealing mechanism. I'm wondering if anybody has found/used a general purpose magnetic seal similar to what you'd find on a fridge, that can be cut to whatever shape/size opening you need.

I've done some quick searching and most of what I see doesn't look very promising. In particular, it's not clear to me how I'd securely mount it to a wooden frame (for example). It needs to be able to resist open/close cycles without pulling off.

Any ideas?
Is it for a keezer or something else?
You could clad the wood trim with galvanized metal, then use a magnetic sealing strip. If you can't find a magnetic strip, you could try to make one by finding a seal that's hollow and insert a magnetic strip. There is a tape that's magnetic that comes on a roll and you can cut to length with an ordinary scissors. It has an adhesive tape backing.

There needs to be significant compliance for any material used as a door gasket. Having used "magnetic rubber" in numerous applications I don't see that working well - it has very little compliance even when warm.

One can find all kinds of magnetic gasket material on the web with good compliance abilities. For example, this stuff
41tof5XEjrL.jpg

This particular style presses into a slot, other styles have a self-sticking backing...

Cheers!

Back