Magnetic 525SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stuck a hard drive magnet to my Perlick 425ss and it sticks to all of them on the main bodies and the bonnets, but not the removable spouts.

Well, I emailed them last week about the materials. Here is what I asked:

What kind of stainless steel do your faucets use? What is the expected lifespan of a faucet used 6-days per week?

Here is their response:

Faucets will last many years normal wear parts can be changed as required.

Our 630SS faucets is made from 304 stainless steel.

Me:

Is all the metal in contact with the beer 304 stainless steel? How about on the older 525SS faucets? Are they made with the same materials?

Perlick:

Yes the 525SS was 304SS but the handle lever that touched beer was 303SS, our new faucet is ALL 304SS.

Hmm... Interesting. Anyway, that is about all the information I care to find out. I guess you could say I am bored now.

Yeaaaah, um...

Series 200/300 stainless are austenitic and thus, for the most part, non-magnetic. There are some slightly magnetic alloys, but 303/304 are not one of them.

Something's off here.

300 series stainless steels are not magnetic. However, they will become magnetic if they are slow cooled from austenitizing temperatures or if they are cold worked. Cold working includes heavy polishing and shot blasting among other things. Also, I know that 304 is very susceptible to becoming magnetic after being cold worked. So, I would say it's pretty normal to have a magnet stick to perlicks. Hope this helps.

Back