Magically carbed keg of pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaotica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not quite sure what happened, but I am really confused. Six weeks ago I brewed a pale ale. Three weeks ago I kegged it and put it in a closet under 5lbs of pressure. I let it sit in the closet longer than planned after brewing and tapping a wheat for a visiting family member.

Today I decided to force carb this and replace the wheat, but when I went to purge pressure before putting the lines on... POW!!! There was incredible pressure in the keg. It kept spewing and spewing, and even after the pressure dissipated, it would burst out again after closing the relief valve for 20 or 30 seconds.

I suppose I may have jostled it back to life when I kegged, but sheesh. A ton of pressure came out and eventually I quit purging and put the lines on. After chilling for 2hrs on 10lbs of pressure it's perfect. The beer tastes and smells excellent and has a big smooth head. Thought maybe an infection caused pressure, I dunno. Confused and pleased at the same time.

Jeep's right...you kegged before it was done, so the fermentation pressure was kept in solution.

Back