Magical Self healing CO2 leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
OK ok ok... YES I did check for leaks, using StarSan.. looked good, all went into Keezer.
No noticed pressure drops, no bubbles from Starsan at any connection.

8 hours later, Taprite tank gauge indicates large pressure loss in tank (bottom of green, where it was topped out in green... this is on a full 7lb tank)

I figured it was just that the CO2 tank was now at a nice cool 45 deg F, vs 73 ambient room temp.

But to check, I tuned off the gas, left the lines on and connected to kegs.

Sure enough pressure dropped in keg from 30 PSI to about 22..

Was that CO2 dissolving into the beer? or a leak?

Out it all came from the keezer and soap water was sprayed on all connections with gas set to 40 psi... .. Not a bubble to be seen...

Back it went to the keezer, next day.. pressure seems to be holding on keg side (dropped to 12 psi after 24 hours at 30), and the tank gauge has not moved.

Not sure if I HAD a leak and it sealed itself. (keg lid?) or the combination of cooling the tank and beer, plus CO2 doing what it is supposed to and dissolving into that beer is what made it "look" like Im loosing pressure.

Thoughts?

based on what you've described it sounds like you already figured it out. Cooling the CO2 bottle will dramatically drop the pressure inside, but you can always weigh it to see how much has been used. There should be a stamp on top with the empty "tare weight." Look for a TW and the number. Add 7lbs to this and you will have the full weight. I have a 10lb tank and go through a full bottle in about 10 months.

Cooling caused the pressure drop on your high pressure gauge, then when you shut your tank off the CO2 continued to dissolve into the beer. Turn your CO2 back on and relax.

The high side pressure gauge is rather worthless for telling how much gas you have left in the tank. As the equillibrium pressure for gas/liquid CO2 stays the same so long as both exist in the tank. The high side pressure gauge will remain constant until you are out of gas. It will drop or raise depending on the temperature.

Back