Magical Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackAtack

Reaction score
So, here's a lesson in apparently ill fitting fermenter lids....
Also, I like "sensational" titles, thus "Magic Beer".
Later

what? how would it have gone through the lid? Wouldnt there be wort all over the floor?

im confused

Last edited:
you sure it didnt crack on the bottom? Iam with everyone else unless that was sitting for over a year that isnt evaporation.

In my experience the buckets crack over time. The beer is probably soaked into the insulation of the fermentation chamber.

I've had this issue with Wine carboys... but that was due to the significant other sampling as it aged and not a fault with the carboy.

Someone drank your beer. I suggest you start rounding up suspects - break out the 100 watt bulb and begin immediate interrogations.
This is a serious issue and must be halted.

Don't wait...start now!:mad:

So, here's a lesson in apparently ill fitting fermenter lids.

Apparently, the lid to this fermenter is flawed. I discovered this when I went to pick up the bucket and it was way too light to have 5 gallons of fermenting wort. I opened the lid to see all my beer had just, disappeared. I'm buying a new vessel to replace that one in the near future, but for now, if I need it, I'm going to seal it off with plastic wrap and duct tape. This was my very first fermenter and it had been in service for over 4 years, so I think it just needs to be retired (or get a replacement lid), but I get why there may be a leak somewhere. Brewers beware and happy brewing!

The beer didn't evaporate. If it did, it would be thick sludge since the solids in there would NOT have evaporated (if a cup of soda evaporated that much it would be a disk of syrup at the bottom).

If you had a leak, it must have gone somewhere. I doubt you have a leak though.

I think you have a Dodgy SOB messing with your brew. Dust for prints.

So, here's a lesson in apparently ill fitting fermenter lids.

Apparently, the lid to this fermenter is flawed. I discovered this when I went to pick up the bucket and it was way too light to have 5 gallons of fermenting wort. I opened the lid to see all my beer had just, disappeared. I'm buying a new vessel to replace that one in the near future, but for now, if I need it, I'm going to seal it off with plastic wrap and duct tape. This was my very first fermenter and it had been in service for over 4 years, so I think it just needs to be retired (or get a replacement lid), but I get why there may be a leak somewhere. Brewers beware and happy brewing!

You sure you didn't just rack a vanilla stout from this vessel 12 hours prior to posting this tremendously hilarious thread.

Kind of an odd coincidence.

I live on the east coast and wasn't that hot, nope. Somebody else was confused as to why all the beer disappeared and there wasn't a massive mess. I'm sure the bottom didn't crack, there was no messes around. Yes, I've used the same bucket, but I bought a second one I would use before I went to the old one. I thought that too, but I never leave left over wort. I did think of that, and it seems the most reasonable. As far as I checked, I had two batches already in bottles, but I knew what they were, I had just bottled them a couple weeks before. I even realized I messed up and didn't put priming sugar in one of them and had to transfer it all to a key to make it drinkable. So, big mystery. Somebody just gave me a 6 gallon glass carboy and I'm picking up another 5 gallon one this weekend.

I live on the east coast and wasn't that hot, nope. Somebody else was confused as to why all the beer disappeared and there wasn't a massive mess. I'm sure the bottom didn't crack, there was no messes around. Yes, I've used the same bucket, but I bought a second one I would use before I went to the old one. I thought that too, but I never leave left over wort. I did think of that, and it seems the most reasonable. As far as I checked, I had two batches already in bottles, but I knew what they were, I had just bottled them a couple weeks before. I even realized I messed up and didn't put priming sugar in one of them and had to transfer it all to a key to make it drinkable. So, big mystery. Somebody just gave me a 6 gallon glass carboy and I'm picking up another 5 gallon one this weekend.

If your glass carboy shatters into a million pieces and all the beer 'goes away' super mysteriously, are you going to actually put some effort into finding out what happened or just be like

'meh... Magic beer, better try again.'

Did you ferment in a fridge or cooler? Or was this just on the ground? On carpet?

Come on.

Go go Gavin legs!

tumblr_llv9ywxzrk1qh1ncao1_400.gif

now the posts are highly edited. At least passedpawn's quote immortalized it, albeit without the picture evidence

Back