Magic Rock Saucery IPA - anyone tried to brew something like it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumathomebrew

Reaction score
Beer details are generous with information :-
IPA session 3.9*
Uses Golden Promise malt
Gluten free
Citra and Ekuanot hops in whirlpool and dry hop
London Ale II yeast (another site says London Fog ale yeast)

I've got Lager Malt and Maris otter plus a small flavouring selection of other malts.
I haven't a clue what Golden Promise malt tastes like.

Any suggestions on how to even begin a new recipe for 20 litres or a small gallon sized brew?

I believe that Golden Promise is relatively similar to Maris Otter, although I've never used GP. I bet the combination of London Ale II and Citra is fantastic.

Golden Promise is a barley malt, so it's not gluten free. I think you'd have to introduce some sort of enzymes to break down the gluten. Unless you're actually gluten-sensitive, I wouldn't worry about it.

The gluten bit doesn't bother me. Perhaps making it gluten free catches all the more customers.

My supplier does MO and GP so I might do a side by side SMASH just to learn. It was a nice refreshing beer.

Just as a general comment, you'll be better off on British forums if you're asking about the recipe of a British beer, being US-based most HBTers will barely have heard of Magic Rock, let alone drunk the beer.

GP is the posh barley variety of the north, used in a lot of Scottish whisky and by brewers like Tim Taylor. It's a bit sweeter and less biscuity than Otter, but they occupy similar positions as the premium barley of their regions. So if you've got Otter then use the Otter, otherwise GP is easy enough to buy here.

London Ale II yeast (another site says London Fog ale yeast)

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and White Labs WLP066 London Fog are roughly equivalent, they're the standard choices of yeast for modern-style hazy beers. Lallemand Verdant is a dry yeast derived from 1318 so is a convenient alternative if you're not into liquid yeasts.

It looks like they've messed around with the recipe a fair bit, as Magic Rock have two pages for the beer - an old one that has :
Malt : Acidulated, Dextrin, Golden Promise, Oat
Hops : Amarillo Lupulin Powder, Citra Lupulin Powder, Ekuanot Cryo, Mosaic Lupulin Powder
Yeast : London Fog

and a new one that glosses over the malt bill (which makes me think that the Lion/Kirin accountants have insisted on something more economical than GP to hit the supermarket price points), and doesn't mention yeast either.

Tesco lists barley and oats as allegens, some like Beer Merchants add rye as well.

Bravado started out with the original Saucery grist and added rye for body, and fermented with " London Ale II" (surely they mean London Ale III?) in the blurb. But then the "brewsheet" table bears little resemblance to that blurb, with no mention of rye, hops in LUPULN2 and T90 format and saying the yeast is WLP002 in the table (let's say that would be an unusual choice for the style) .

If nothing else, the proof-checking of the website is appalling. But my guess is that Bravado was essentially a testbed for changes to Saucery. I suspect they've changed from White Labs (ie London Fog) to Wyeast (London Ale III), they've replaced some or all of the GP with a cheaper base malt plus some rye, and gone over to cryo for most of the hops.

Latest posts

Back