Magic Hat Barroom Hero Pub Ale recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
morning all. As the title implies I’m looking for an all grain recipie for this tasty brew

I’m thinking this has an ample supply of biscuit malt and some marris otter or similar to go along with two row of similar

As far as hops I don’t have a clue but would venture a guess of fuggles or other earthy hops.

Yeast I’m guessing a british stout or similar style. I would try Nottingham or us-04

Anyone else have any thoughts or possibly tried to reproduce this unique esb/ pale ale crossover?

I had this one not too long ago and really liked it. After reading the description on their web site ("An English pub-style ale with a roasted, coffee aroma inviting you into a smooth caramel, and chocolate finish"), I suspect the closest style categorization would be a Dark Mild.

For a 5 gallon batch I'd do something like this:
  • 6.5 pounds Maris Otter
  • 6oz Crisp Crystal Light (45L) or other Crystal 40
  • 6oz Crisp Crystal Extra Dark (120L) or other Crystal 120
  • 4oz Crisp Black (600L) or Black Patent Malt
  • 4oz Pale Chocolate (200L)
  • 0.5 oz EKG, first wort or 60 minutes
  • S-04 is a good choice
Putting this in BeerSmith3 gives me:
27 SRM, 4.2% ABV, 17 IBU
Magic Hat's web site says theirs is:
30 SRM, 4.2% ABV, 15 IBU.

So this would get you pretty close, I think.

I was wondering about the chocolate malt. Just a little bit. The black patent might make it a bit dark but give it a bit of the porter/stout hint.

I’m going to give this recipe a try next weekend. Thanks for the post.

I was wondering about the chocolate malt. Just a little bit. The black patent might make it a bit dark but give it a bit of the porter/stout hint.

I’m going to give this recipe a try next weekend. Thanks for the post.

No worries! Let me know how it turns out.
One final note: if you can't find the pale chocolate malt at 200 L and have to use the more common chocolate malt closer to 350 L, you may want to cut back a bit on the black malt as a trade-off.

I had this one not too long ago and really liked it. After reading the description on their web site ("An English pub-style ale with a roasted, coffee aroma inviting you into a smooth caramel, and chocolate finish"), I suspect the closest style categorization would be a Dark Mild.

For a 5 gallon batch I'd do something like this:
  • 6.5 pounds Maris Otter
  • 6oz Crisp Crystal Light (45L) or other Crystal 40
  • 6oz Crisp Crystal Extra Dark (120L) or other Crystal 120
  • 4oz Crisp Black (600L) or Black Patent Malt
  • 4oz Pale Chocolate (200L)
  • 0.5 oz EKG, first wort or 60 minutes
  • S-04 is a good choice
Putting this in BeerSmith3 gives me:
27 SRM, 4.2% ABV, 17 IBU
Magic Hat's web site says theirs is:
30 SRM, 4.2% ABV, 15 IBU.

So this would get you pretty close, I think.
Looks like a very good dark mild recipe! And we all know that May is "mild month"...

I just found my recipe. Thanks!

Back