Magic Hat and Pyramid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So tonight I was talking to someone in my family. Turns out Magic Hat bought Pyramid maybe a year ago. Never knew that. Just Though I like pyramid, just not a magic hat fan.

that's a shame cause I never minded Pyramid, but have been extremely disappointed by every magic hat brew. Even with having low expectations going in, they are not enjoyable. Hopefully they don't change any pyramid recipes.

Pyramid recently rebranded all of their products. New labels, packaging and even names on some products. They are trying to market to an active, young demographic. Magic Hat seems to be positioned as a 'different' almost 'eclectic' kind of brewery.

I'd love to try some of Magic Hat beers here on the west coast. But I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I have a pyramid brewery and pub 30 minutes away... i don't visit as the beer seems bland to me.

They bought out Portland Brewing a few years ago as well.
I keep hoping that they will put Haystack Black back out on the market. That was a really good Porter.

I've tried several Magic Hat beers in the sampler packs, and the only one I actually liked was the No. 9. I've yet to try any of Pyramid's offerings.

Pyramid's Hefe was one of the worst I have ever tried...meh.

Magic Hat doesn't do anything for me. I think they try too much crazy stuff instead of focusing on making great beers.

Patrick

Magic Hat doesn't do anything for me. I think they try too much crazy stuff instead of focusing on making great beers.

Like I've said, I only tried a 12-pack sampler, but I also found that to be the case.

It seems they're all marketing: the labels feature bright and bold graphics, and they may make mention of whatever strange, gimmicky ingredient was used in that beer (i.e. beet juice), but otherwise you won't find much information about the beer from the label.

I did think the No. 9 was okay and I've heard the Roxy Rolles was decent, so maybe I'll look for some of their other beers in the future.

I tried Pyramid's Apricot Ale on a whim a couple of years ago and liked it. Then I heard about Magic Hat #9, before it was in any of my local liquor stores, so I made a special trip into the city to get some. I ended up getting a 12 pack sampler and a case of #9. I enjoyed the #9, but none of the ones in the sampler really appealed to me.

Aside from the Pyramid DPA (Draught Pale Ale), their products are simply bland everyday beers. If they weren't located right across the street from Safeco Field, I doubt I'd ever have a Pyramid ale...

Thats interesting to know...I'm a tap handle collecter and Magic hat taps always sell for a high amount! I really don't think too highly of pyramids brews...they have such boring flavors. you'd expect more from a brewery..>

I am not impressed by either brewery. I'll drink pyramid on occasion because sometimes they will be really cheap when on sale; like $4 for $5 a 6pack. Their Juggernaut amber was decent.
recently Magic hat has been trying to push into the region (I'm in South Texas). But I tried their fall seasonal, a hoppy amber I think, and was unimpressed. It's decent, but not worth paying a 2 or 3 dollar upcharge over other brands. Plus their website is ridiculously difficult to navigate.

Magic Hat #9 is a great beer.. Everything else I have had by them is really bad.. Especially the Cirus Boy Hefe and that nasty red beet summer brew...

I don't mind a couple of Magic Hats beers. Here are my favs.

1. Roxy Rolles
2. Odd Notion (Winter 09)

I absolutly hated their Odd Notion (Summer 09), I believe it was some sort of Belgian but oh it tasted....how to describe it....like the drippings from skin of a Honey Baked Ham.

I don't know, I always seem to grab their sampler 12 pack every now and again.

Two average/subpar breweries merge. Woo hoo.

I've never had a good beer from Magic Hat. The #9 is drinkable, that's about it.

I never had a Pyramid beer before this week when I was out west. We stopped into the Pyramid Alehouse in Sacramento. The Hefe is absolutely terrible. Like someone said above, the Draught Pale Ale is OK. The Snow Cap seasonal is meh. The Thunderhead IPA is decent, but in the climate of todays IPAs, it's certainly subpar. I didn't have the Apricot Ale, but someone who had said it was over the top fruity, almost candy-like.

Back