Magic Hat #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I just tried this for the first time and boy does it suck. I'm regretting not choosing Newcastle or the random Nut Brown I saw at the gas station here in BFE, WV.

I saw Pale ale so I figured I was good to go. Popped one open and almost gagged. Freakin apricot? Ugh.

where are you in relation to Moundsville, wv?
incidentally, I Almost got that one today too, but SWMBO wanted to have a beer too- so I went with Brooklyns' summer ale. Guess I'm glad I didnt go there.

The first time I had it I didn't realize it was apricot flavored and the sweetness really put me off. I didn't even finish the bottle I opened. I have been thinking about trying it again now that I know what is up but I still don't think I will enjoy it much.

#9 is my favorite beer with fruit in it. If I wanted a normal beer I would be pissed off too drinking it. If you go in with the right mindset it is pretty good. Way better than that offal Festina Peche that DFH makes.

#9 is my favorite beer with fruit in it. If I wanted a normal beer I would be pissed off too drinking it. If you go in with the right mindset it is pretty good. Way better than that offal Festina Peche that DFH makes.

I've had better fruit beers, but I agree - Festina Peche does indeed suck. :mad:

+1 the few times I've had it I really enjoyed it, but then I was forewarned that it was apricot.

You know, I *really* liked Festina Peche, it's one of my favorite DFH brews. It's a girly-beer, but very tart and refreshing. Hippie brought a bottle down to a Yankee Ingenuity get-together, it was really nice after standing around a burner all day.

#9's got a very artificial taste to it; really extract-ey.

Huh. I never knew what #9 was supposed to be because they don't have a single word of description on their damn labels! I do like it though.

However, I'm boycotting Magic Hat beers. I bought the Mardi Gras case, and the expiration date on JUST the Circus Boy Crappy Hefeweizen was about a year ago. The expiration dates on the other beers were fine. MEANING that Magic Hat purposefully put some expired beer in that case to get rid of it - it's not like the case had been sitting at Kroger too long or something because only some of them were expired. I was p!ssed.

And I still don't know what to do with that Circus Boy crap, because I don't even like it when it's NOT expired.

#9 definitely used to better, as did Magic Hat in general. The #9 is just indicative of most of their bottled beers now; lame...

#9 definitely used to better, as did Magic Hat in general. The #9 is just indicative of most of their bottled beers now; lame...

You think they've gotten worse, or you think your pallate has gotten more discriminating? For me, homebrewing and actually paying a lot of attention to what I'm drinking has completely changed how I perceive a lot of beers. It's hard to know whether I don't care for #9 now (but didn't mind it a few years ago) because something is different in the beer, or just in how I'm picking up the flavors.

You think they've gotten worse, or you think your pallate has gotten more discriminating? For me, homebrewing and actually paying a lot of attention to what I'm drinking has completely changed how I perceive a lot of beers. It's hard to know whether I don't care for #9 now (but didn't mind it a few years ago) because something is different in the beer, or just in how I'm picking up the flavors.

I think they have gotten worse. There are some beers that I know haven't changed, but I don't like them because my tastes have changed. I repeatedly give Magic Hat second chances. I've been "keeping tabs" on #9 for about 6-7 years now. I actually have a sixtel of Magic Hat in my Sanyo, but its part of their Odd Notion series. I'd never allow #9 to take up precious kegerator space!

I liked the #9 when I tried it last fall. Liked it enough where I attempted a clone. It's certainly not the greatest beer ever, but it didn't suck. To each their own.

Latest posts

Back