Magic Chef Wine Cooler Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dordelli

Reaction score
Converted my Magic Chef wine fridge to a two tap kegerator, really happy with how it came out and a fairly straight forward conversion. These things easily hold two kegs and a 5lb Co2 on the hump. Even replaced the stock temp controller with an itc-1000 so I could get the temps lower then stock.

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image3.jpg

Nice work! Did your fridge originally have a digital or manual/knob temp control? I didn't realize that even with a temp controller, the wine fridges could get that cold. Makes sense that the compressor and all is the same as a regular fridge, just using a different thermostat. I might have to do the same with my wine fridge that I use for a fermenter, would be nice to be able to cold crash in the same unit.

Nice work! Did your fridge originally have a digital or manual/knob temp control? I didn't realize that even with a temp controller, the wine fridges could get that cold. Makes sense that the compressor and all is the same as a regular fridge, just using a different thermostat. I might have to do the same with my wine fridge that I use for a fermenter, would be nice to be able to cold crash in the same unit.

It was a digital controller, roughly same exact size, so the itc fit in the same opening. It's maybe 1/4" smaller then the stock unit but not noticeable and finished its hard to tell its not stock. Not sure why these are not used more often for Kegerators, they are more expensive then normal mini fridges but the conversion is super easy, don't have to remove door panels, no freezer to worry about bending out of the way, no coils in the top panel to worry about drilling thru and they hold 2 kegs and a 5lb co2 easily.

It was a digital controller, roughly same exact size, so the itc fit in the same opening. It's maybe 1/4" smaller then the stock unit but not noticeable and finished its hard to tell its not stock. Not sure why these are not used more often for Kegerators, they are more expensive then normal mini fridges but the conversion is super easy, don't have to remove door panels, no freezer to worry about bending out of the way, no coils in the top panel to worry about drilling thru and they hold 2 kegs and a 5lb co2 easily.

Hmm. Mine is a manual turn-knob control, but so was my freezer that I converted to use an ITC-1000 controller. Shouldn't have any issue wiring it up to work.

I like the location also, and how you paired it with a functional wine fridge. That would make my wife happy. :mug:

Hmm. Mine is a manual turn-knob control, but so was my freezer that I converted to use an ITC-1000 controller. Shouldn't have any issue wiring it up to work.

I like the location also, and how you paired it with a functional wine fridge. That would make my wife happy. :mug:

Hardest part was convincing her (wife) to let me mod it and that we needed to hurry and drink the 50 bottles of wine it held. Now wouldn't it be cool to empty out that second chiller, make the tower straddle both fridges and turn it into a 4 tapper?

Hardest part was convincing her (wife) to let me mod it and that we needed to hurry and drink the 50 bottles of wine it held. Now wouldn't it be cool to empty out that second chiller, make the tower straddle both fridges and turn it into a 4 tapper?

Now you're talkin! :rockin:

Looks good! What size galvanized pipe? And how are the lines hooked up in the back? Thanks!

Looks good! What size galvanized pipe? And how are the lines hooked up in the back? Thanks!

I used 3" galvanized, super heavy duty. Looked at 2.5" but could not find the flange bases in 2.5" not sure why? The hoses were ran thru 1/2" copper that is wrapped in pipe insulation then the cavity filled with spray foam, I used 90 degree nipples to attach to the faucets, getting hose clamps on those fittings was probably the hardest part of the whole job.

Does your drip tray have a drain? Or just lift out to clean

The tray does have a fitting where I could've ran a drain hose but I just capped it for now. If I end up spilling too much, I can drill a second hole and add a drain.

This is two separate mini fridges sitting side by side. I moved the door handle on one so they open with both handles in the middle. Not sure the model # but they still sell a very similiar model at Home depot. Looks to still accept the same controller mod however I am not 100% sure.

Back