Magic Chef 4.4 cu-ft mini-fridge. Suitable for a 6.5 gal. glass carboy fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that fridge and there is a 6 gallon fermonster in it now. I don't use an airlock lock, instead I use one of those "one way bungs" (air gets out but not in).

I had to use a drimel and cut the plastic shelf supports off the door but that was the only mod. If you use an airlock I think you'll need to bend the freezer shelf down.

I have that fridge and there is a 6 gallon fermonster in it now. I don't use an airlock lock, instead I use one of those "one way bungs" (air gets out but not in).

I had to use a drimel and cut the plastic shelf supports off the door but that was the only mod. If you use an airlock I think you'll need to bend the freezer shelf down.

Thank you! I just measured my 6.5 gallon glass carboy fermenter. Its diameter is 12-1/8", and its height with airlock in place is 25-1/2".

Can the freezer shelf be removed?

Based on the link and images in the link, I am not seeing a freezer shelf. The description states "freezerless design". So I wouldn't concern yourself with that part.

However, if one does have a small freezer within a unit like that, be extremely careful when bending down the bottom shelf. If you break that line, the unit is basically useless and will not cool. FYI.

Great initial idea though....and yes, the door shelves will probably have to be removed.

Ah! I looked at the thread on my phone and didn't catch it was the "freezerless" model! I wish they had that available at the store when I bought the one with the freezer shelf.

Back