Maelstrom Stir Plate Vibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Maelstrom for some time and after my DIY stir plate bit the dust I decided to pull the trigger.

While I admit that I havent made a starter on it yet or tested with plain water in a flask, I did turn it on to make sure it at least worked. Stepping up through the speeds, I noticed a fair vibration. At the top speed, it was enough that I might be concerned about the starter vibrating off. That probably wouldn't happen due to the weight of a starter so big I needed to run this thing at full speed but it made me raise an eyebrow.

Does anyone else have a Maelstrom stir plate and if so? Is this vibration normal? I can reach out to Midwest Supplies support but I thought I'd ping the forum first.

I haven't used mine in a while, but I can remember noticing much, if any, vibration. FYI, I don't think you'll ever need to run it at full speed. I think I used either speed 2 or 3 for 8 liters the last time I made a starter with it.

Mine works great, you will never need full speed. Just used it last week. Try it with a flask of water and see how it does.

I don't have one, but I would put a flask with some water on it and see if it still vibrates. Maybe test with different amounts of water. Turn it up until you get a medium vortex. If it still vibrates I would return it. It sounds like something is out of balance.

My buddy has one and it works great with no vibration.

I think it’s out of balance and you should contact the seller or manufacturer.

Thanks for the feedback. I will do the test and then contact them if I still get the vibration.

Closing the loop; tested with my 5L flask filled to the 5L mark. I did not see the strong vibration that I did when running it with no load. The thing rocks and the top speed is too much for 5L. I'll use speed 2 most likely which was plenty of a vortex.

And FWIW, Midwest Supplies did respond quickly and asked for a video of the problem. I'm happy to say that I didnt shoot any video of the thing running normally and will be thanking them for their response.

Looking forward to many starters being made on the Maelstrom!

Not to go off track here, but I think it’s out of place to criticize a product in a public forum before troubleshooting or contacting the seller/manufacturer. I was researching stir plates and found this “headline”. For lazy people that don’t actually read the thread, it might steer them away from a tried and true product.

Not to go off track here, but I think it’s out of place to criticize a product in a public forum before troubleshooting or contacting the seller/manufacturer.

I didnt criticize the product. I simply noted a perceived problem and pinged a trusted forum for feedback. I even set the stage for an error on my side and took the time for a followup post to set things straight.

RDWAHAHB!

Back