Made my first chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volfan16

Reaction score
Few months ago I made my first chocolate stout via a recipe on HBT and everything seemed fine except when I bottled them, a few exploded. I had two explode in the box they were conditioning in and one explode in a 6 pack carrying case in the floorboard of my car, between my legs (that was scary)... Any idea why this happened?

What was the OG and FG? If the FG was too high there were still unfermented sugars coupled with the priming sugar, causing over carbing and explosion.

From what I understand (and I am a newbie too) there are two possibilitles.
- How long did you wait for the beer to ferment? Did you make the required multiple FG reading before bottling? If the beer was not done fermenting, you could be in trouble.
- Also did you use the proper amount of prming sugar? I think too much can also cause this.

How long did you let them ferment for?

Did you check your gravities with a hydrometer prior to bottling?

How much priming sugar did you use for your batch?

I let it ferment two weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary.. I did however skip the step of measuring the fg so this could have been my mistake

I let it ferment two weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary.. I did however skip the step of measuring the fg so this could have been my mistake

:drunk:, lesson learned. We have all been there.:mug: I would guess it wasn't finished. Do you know what you OG was?

Latest posts

Back