Made a mash tun but have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I made a mash tun this weekend but I seem to be having two issues. One, I inserted my ball valve but I have a little bit of wiggle when I open and close the valve. Do you put something in the middle to fill in the space in the cooler? (10 gallon Rubbermaid) Second I used a braided hose and everything works but it’s super slow. I’m guessing it would take at least an hour to drain 5-8 gallons of wort.

I actually used a braided hose for a sink so it has threads on each end. One end is screwed into my ball valve and the open end is capped.

Kraig

i have a manifold in mine so i cant help with braid. but if you are running just water, then it is going to be even slower with a grain bed. might want to verify you didnt miss something in asembly.

you can use extra washers to tighten up the space and wiggle room of your spigot. i used a kit from weldlessfittings.com because i got tired of trying to track down the parts at lowes and them being OOS

No I didn’t take out the inner tube. I’ll try that and see what happens. Do you just cut off one of the ends and slide it out? If I do that how do I cap the open end?

I’m not very mechanical to say the least. It is stainless and it was just water which is why I figured it was going to be hours to drain with grains. I didn’t miss any steps but I think they were written assuming you have a basic knowledge of how things work, which sadly I don’t.

Yes, cut off one end and slide the rubber tube out. You can cap the cut end with the smallest stainless steel worm clamp you can fit on there. You may have to fold the end of the stainless braid over on itself a few times to make it tight.

No I didn’t take out the inner tube. I’ll try that and see what happens. Do you just cut off one of the ends and slide it out? If I do that how do I cap the open end?

I’m not very mechanical to say the least. It is stainless and it was just water which is why I figured it was going to be hours to drain with grains. I didn’t miss any steps but I think they were written assuming you have a basic knowledge of how things work, which sadly I don’t.

You'll have to cut off both ends to get the tube out. Watch out 'cause the frayed stainless wires will get you. You'll know what I mean when you do it. Use a hose clamp to attach it to the valve end and just fold the other end a couple times & crimp it with a pliers. :mug:

And don't try to pull the braid off. Like a Chinese finger puzzle, it gets tighter when you do that. Hold the inner hose with some pliers or something and push the braid off.

You'll have to cut off both ends to get the tube out. Watch out 'cause the frayed stainless wires will get you. You'll know what I mean when you do it. Use a hose clamp to attach it to the valve end and just fold the other end a couple times & crimp it with a pliers. :mug:

A trick I've learned from doing SS fuel lines is take either painters or electrical tape and wrap the area you plan to cut prior to actuall cutting. When you cut through, the tape will help maintain the tubing and really cut down on the fraying. You can then gentle remove the tape and fit on your fittings or in this case, the worm clamps. I'd leave the tape in place till you remove the inner tubing.

A trick I've learned from doing SS fuel lines is take either painters or electrical tape and wrap the area you plan to cut prior to actuall cutting. When you cut through, the tape will help maintain the tubing and really cut down on the fraying. You can then gentle remove the tape and fit on your fittings or in this case, the worm clamps. I'd leave the tape in place till you remove the inner tubing.

+1 for taping the area where you cut, and using a dremmel with a cutting wheel works great.

+1 also for pushing and not pulling the braid off. You will have to remove both ends of the hose, but that has already been discussed.

For crimping the end, I have also taken a 1" - 1/2" SS bolt, inserted it in my open end, and hose clamped onto that. Probably overkill, but it works great.

if the SS braid is Heavy gauge then just fold the end over and crimp it in a vise I did this several times hasn't come undone yet ..

gottBraid.jpg

Latest posts

Back