Made a Keg sugar Carbonation mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
Because I was short on keezer space, I decided to carbonate my corny keg with DME (at room temp).

My brew is a Hefe, so I'm using 3oz. of DME for 5gal @ 75F to achieve a bit over 3 volumes.

Problem is, I forgot that my buddies and I sampled 2 gals of it last night :p - and I added the DME before racking it into my corny.

Now I have ~2.5gal of Hefe sitting on 3oz of sugar (+8psi for seal). What can I do to lessen the damage?

don't worry about it. that's not much more than should be used. when almost ready to drink, pull the plug, ALMOST drain it, then keezer it

I think he's worried about the extra headspace reducing the carbonation achieved in the remaining beer. It will need a little extra gas to get to the original target. 3oz of DME is not enough to hit 3 volumes in 2.5 gallons at 75ºF with minimal headspace. With the headspace volume equal to the beer volume, it will take even more.
http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

Now I have ~2.5gal of Hefe sitting on 3oz of sugar (+8psi for seal). What can I do to lessen the damage?

Just let it roll, and then adjust the carb by venting or force carbing as needed. No damage done.

But you drank 40% of your batch "warm" and flat.
And... it wasn't your first batch.

You and your friends are dumbasses!! It's cool though I've done my fair share of dumb things while drunk.

Back