Made a couple of changes I am happy with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I recently made a couple of changes (additions) that I am happy with....

1) TILT -- Being able to constantly monitor the gravity as the beer ferments is fantastic....kinda takes the guesswork out of "is it done?"

2) Clear fermenter -- I had been using plastic buckets, but they are a couple of years old, so maybe due for replacement, so instead of buckets, I got a couple of plastic big mouth bubblers from Northern Brewer. I love being able to see what's going on in the fermenter, couple this with knowing the gravity at all times is great. Also got a thermowell bung that allows me to put the probe from my inkbird into the center of the fermenting beer, and that added with a heat blanket, gives me total temperature control....woohoo.....

Had a small issue with the big mouth bubblers in that the lid wants to blow off, not uncommon from what I have read/seen, so purchased a couple of 5lb olympic weight discs to place on the top and problem solved.

All in all, happy camper here....

If you look at the silicone seal on the cap ,it has 4 flaps to seal. Push it down all the way and the top one sticks out a little. The solution is to trim the top ring flap. The only time it pops up for me is when I'm doing high gravity with explosive yeasts like Kolsch,Notty,or Belgians.
Now you can use the weights for your biceps.

Clear fermenter
For many years I fermented in glass carboys, before moving to mostly PET Fermonster fermenters a few years ago. I also have 3.5 gallon stainless brew bucket and I have tried fermenting in kegs as well. I REALLY like using a clear fermenter. I get so much information from just looking at how the fermentation is progressing or what my dry hops are doing or seeing the level when I am transferring out. I really miss that when using stainless. If I used stainless more, I would definitely want a floating hydrometer.

Had a small issue with the big mouth bubblers in that the lid wants to blow off, not uncommon from what I have read/seen, so purchased a couple of 5lb olympic weight discs to place on the top and problem solved.
I had the same issue with my 1-gallon LBMB when using Kveik. For the larger fermenter they sell a carrying strap that also holds down the lid. I tried the "flip over the gasket" solution without luck. I am a bit reluctant to trim my gasket, but maybe I should. I have seen some 3-D printed clips sold on eBay, but they cost almost as much as the fermenter (and would not work on my 1-gallon fermenters).

I have the old non sealing caps also , so I took the new ones to a friends shop and turned them on a lathe so I could screw the caps down. That's when I saw the seal sticking out and my cap wouldn't screw on. So I trimmed the top ring off and didn't need the screw top and sometimes need a blade to remove it. TRIM THE F!@#$%^ GASKET,YOU'LL THANK ME IN THE MORNING.

Back