Machine House Mild Clong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Arnott, owner and head brewer at Machine House brewery is a friendly chap from the UK. Happy to talk beers and give hints to homebrewers. This recipe is a mashup of what he told me on two different occasions, combined with what was published in Beerandberewing.com.

Machine House is only about 5 minutes from Seatac in part of the original Rainer Brewery (5840 Airport Way S #121, Seattle) www.machinehousebrewery.com ,

Machine House Mild
All- grain
Batch size:5 gallons (19L) brewhouse efficiency: 72%
OG: 1036
FG: 1008
IBU: 20
ABV: 3.7%

Malt bill
5.5# maris
8oz Bairds Chocolate Malt
5.2oz Bairds Chrystal 50-60
5.2oz Bairds Chrystal 135 - 16

Hop schedule:
.45 oz progress at 60 minutes (11 IBU)
1.4oz Progress at 5 minutes (7 IBU)
.4oz First Gold at 5 minutes (2 IBU)
(frankly any English hop should do just fine)

Minerals:
1/8-1/4 teas epsom salt to pull out just a hint of metallic taste to fully clone this beer.
I use 1/2 teas gypsom and 1/2 teas calcium cloride based on my local water

Yeast: fullers - I personally recommend Imperial Pub based on multiple blind taste testings vs wyeast of white labs

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes
Top up to 6 gallons
Chill to 68F
Pitch yeast and allow to rise up to 80F

Best if keg conditioned/spunded.

Cask 1.7-1.9 volumes of CO2

I pitched on a big yeast cake and fermentation was essentially completed in 24 hours. Spunded by adding 1/2 white sugar.

Bill originally told me that he used american 2-row owing to the Bairds adjuncts. But it certainly works with Maris Otter. Prolly any English grain would be fine.

Bill Arnott, owner and head brewer at Machine House brewery is a friendly chap from the UK. Happy to talk beers and give hints to homebrewers. This recipe is a mashup of what he told me on two different occasions, combined with what was published in Beerandberewing.com.

Machine House is only about 5 minutes from Seatac in part of the original Rainer Brewery (5840 Airport Way S #121, Seattle) www.machinehousebrewery.com ,

Machine House Mild
All- grain
Batch size:5 gallons (19L) brewhouse efficiency: 72%
OG: 1036
FG: 1008
IBU: 20
ABV: 3.7%

Malt bill
5.5# maris
8oz Bairds Chocolate Malt
5.2oz Bairds Chrystal 50-60
5.2oz Bairds Chrystal 135 - 16

Hop schedule:
.45 oz progress at 60 minutes (11 IBU)
1.4oz Progress at 5 minutes (7 IBU)
.4oz First Gold at 5 minutes (2 IBU)
(frankly any English hop should do just fine)

Minerals:
1/8-1/4 teas epsom salt to pull out just a hint of metallic taste to fully clone this beer.
I use 1/2 teas gypsom and 1/2 teas calcium cloride based on my local water

Yeast: fullers - I personally recommend Imperial Pub based on multiple blind taste testings vs wyeast of white labs

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes
Top up to 6 gallons
Chill to 68F
Pitch yeast and allow to rise up to 80F

Best if keg conditioned/spunded.

Cask 1.7-1.9 volumes of CO2

I pitched on a big yeast cake and fermentation was essentially completed in 24 hours. Spunded by adding 1/2 white sugar.

Bill originally told me that he used american 2-row owing to the Bairds adjuncts. But it certainly works with Maris Otter. Prolly any English grain would be fine.

Do they use the Fullers strain? And he recommends letting it get to 80? I could see 80 with the 1318 strains but most people using that professionally really try to keep it at or under 66, even for little beers.

When I talked to the brewer maybe 2 years ago now. He generally used the Wyeast Fullers strain, and would go a few generations. Sometimes would also use the WLP002 version. Now it looks like he might have switched to Pub. But to fully answer your question, yes it is the pub yeast.

I've done multiple yeast offs between the fuller's strains. In blind taste testings, triangle tests, LHBS tastings, Pub has always been the crowd favorite. I would recommend using Pub.

This beer is next up in my rotation, going to use fuggle in place of progress and EKG in place of the first gold. I have Wyeast 1968 fermenting a best bitter that I will use some of the slurry to ferment it.

I did ask the brewer a few months ago, and he claims no epsom salts. A brew buddy with a really good palate seems to think there is a mild hint. Personal preference whether to add the Epson or not.

I didn't have any Pub in the library and the LHBS was out of stock, so yesterday I pitched Manchester Ale yeast. Not sure the Fuller's really adds anything or not as long as you pick something that attenuates about the same. Will see.

This thread reminds me of my days living on the Olympic Peninsula and driving back and forth from the town of Lilliwaup to the fish market in Seattle delivering daily catches and passing all of the old line breweries along the way. Rainier near SeaTac airport, the Olympia brewery in Tumwater, Heidelberg in Tacoma...and I know there was at least one other macro in 1970 along the way but damned if I can remember it...

Cheers!

I didn't have any Pub in the library and the LHBS was out of stock, so yesterday I pitched Manchester Ale yeast. Not sure the Fuller's really adds anything or not as long as you pick something that attenuates about the same. Will see.
With these low og beers, yeast's contribution to flavour is neglectable me thinks. 1.04 og and above and the yeast starts to come through.

This thread reminds me of my days living on the Olympic Peninsula and driving back and forth from the town of Lilliwaup to the fish market in Seattle delivering daily catches and passing all of the old line breweries along the way. Rainier near SeaTac airport, the Olympia brewery in Tumwater, Heidelberg in Tacoma...and I know there was at least one other macro in 1970 along the way but damned if I can remember it...

Cheers!
Sheesh, were those (regional) macro's still in production? Rainier was sold out and ended up with Pabst, who closed the seattle brewery in 1999. So, it was closed when I started going to Seattle in the early 2000's.

Machine House is in the old Rainer Malt House, and Elysian Brewery is in another Rainier building. The main Rainier Brewery is maybe a mile or so down the street.

Back