Lysol Sanitizer ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
Hey Everbody,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on a bottle of Lysol Sanitizer my wife brought home from the Daycare she works at. They use this stuff in the kitchen and to sanitize toys, etc. It says on the bottle that it's food grade, is made for third sinks (I guess the first two are wash and rinse) and sanitizes after 2 minutes of exposure. It also says it will make 512 gallons, which is a lot of batches. I just didn't want to use it before I had some opinions on it. I will try to find it on their website so you can see what exactly it is.

Don't use it! You'd be better off using bleach! The scents/flavors would really ruin your beer. Invest in a sanitizer for brewing like Star-San, and you won't be sorry. Some things you just can't compromise....

ScubaSteve said:
Don't use it! You'd be better off using bleach! The scents/flavors would really ruin your beer. Invest in a sanitizer for brewing like Star-San, and you won't be sorry. Some things you just can't compromise....

I probably should have mentioned it's not scented. It's also not that spray on stuff that santizes surfaces that they sell in the store. I couldn't find it on their home website, but it says on the bottle it's a food grade sanitizer.

Is it this?

(I have no affiliation with that website other than that's what Google found for me)

If what your talking about what I think you are, then I would be kind of torn using it. I know we use a lysol product when we have to clean out our cages of birds infected with AI, and it is safe to use on all food and water dishes, but at the same time, we pick it for its residual effect. It is also the same stuff that alot of resturaunts use in thier third sinks (as already mentioned) but thier food isnt sitting on the plate for 4 weeks or more (hopefully :cross: )

More information on the product would allow is to tell you more.

:mug: I don't think you can beat StarSan. 16oz. bottle makes 80 gals.,that can be used over and over. Short contact time. Good stuff.:mug:

ScubaSteve said:

By law, a no-rinse sanitizer can't have any scents or fragrences in it. It should be fine.

It's a sanitzier meant for food service so it should be fine. If the price is right and you don't mind a longer contact time then it should be fine.

srm775 said:
By law, a no-rinse sanitizer can't have any scents or fragrences in it. It should be fine.

It's a sanitzier meant for food service so it should be fine. If the price is right and you don't mind a longer contact time then it should be fine.

You're probably right....I'm pretty paranoid about sanitization, so I like to use what is tried and true. BTW, I've found it's more cost effective to buy the Star-San in the 32 oz. bottle.

Morebeer:
8oz. for $7.50
32 oz. for $14.50

3 times the sanitizer for double the price!

It works great. There is no taste of any kind at the proper dilution. It is rated for use in dairies as well as bar rinses. I use it all the time.

For spot sanitation, all you need is isopropyl alcohol in a concentration between 70-75% (and no more - higher is ineffective at penetrating cell walls of bacteria). I'm mentioning this because: it's cheap. I have to imagine it's cheaper than this Lysol stuff and it's certainly a lot cheaper than Star Sans. I think Star Sans is a great soaking sanitzer - but don't waste it on spot sanitation when you can use something that costs under a buck.

Morebeer:
8oz. for $7.50
32 oz. for $14.50

3 times the sanitizer for double the price!

A regular math major there!

32 / 8 = 4, not 3! ;)

That said, the Lysol certainly sounds like a good deal, on first blush... But I really dig the convenience of having a spray bottle of StarSan on hand at all times and just being able to hose stuff down whenever I have the need - I'm not really sure how something with a 2 minute contact time would work out with that kind of application... I don't think, for me at least, it'd be worth the cost savings.

Back