Lupomax Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my recent Yakima HopBox I received a few cans of Lupomax hops, specifically Citra, Ekuanot and Sabro. These have AA% of 18-19. So I'm thinking of doing a pale ale to try these out and using the online recipe calculator I get this:

11 lbs 2-row
10 oz Crystal 40
60 minute boil
1oz of Citra at 10 min
1oz of Sabro at 10 min
IBU of 52 / 5.9 ABV / US-05 yeast

Question is, since I am not using a bittering hop, should I expect anything different in the expected flavor with only late edition hops?

Thanks

In a word...uh YEAH. I had some Citra Lupomax a while back and the late flavor/aroma it imparted was phenomenal. Partnered with Sabro it makes an incredible IPA with huge pineapple nose/flavor, with an elusive coconuttiness from the Sabro that is amazing. YOU WILL LOVE THIS BEER if it turns out the way it should. I would scrap the 10 minute additions and throw everything at it at no earlier than 5, with a big flameout addition and some dry hopping, if you're going for big flavor/nose. Also I would do away with the Crystal 40 altogether but that might just be me. This hop combo does best with a lighter (in terms of SRM) grain bill, in my opinion. If you got the 2oz cans, try using 1oz of each at flameout (with at least a 10 minute hopstand) and the rest as dry hops.

In a word...uh YEAH. I had some Citra Lupomax a while back and the late flavor/aroma it imparted was phenomenal. Partnered with Sabro it makes an incredible IPA with huge pineapple nose/flavor, with an elusive coconuttiness from the Sabro that is amazing. YOU WILL LOVE THIS BEER if it turns out the way it should. I would scrap the 10 minute additions and throw everything at it at no earlier than 5, with a big flameout addition and some dry hopping, if you're going for big flavor/nose. Also I would do away with the Crystal 40 altogether but that might just be me. This hop combo does best with a lighter (in terms of SRM) grain bill, in my opinion. If you got the 2oz cans, try using 1oz of each at flameout (with at least a 10 minute hopstand) and the rest as dry hops.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I do have the 2 oz cans and will give the dry hop a go. I have a BigMouth bubbler that I can easily drop my hop bag into.

you may not need the hop bag with lupomax hops. The higher oil content and lower "vegetative matter" means less hop trub. It is also different hop trub from regular T90 pellets, much finer particles of whatever vegetative matter there is. I'd let them swim free for maximum impact. Even if a few make it into keg they probably won't foul your poppets.

you may not need the hop bag with lupomax hops. The higher oil content and lower "vegetative matter" means less hop trub. It is also different hop trub from regular T90 pellets, much finer particles of whatever vegetative matter there is. I'd let them swim free for maximum impact. Even if a few make it into keg they probably won't foul your poppets.
Thanks for that advice. I have not used them before and did minimal reading up on those, hence the question. The grain bill is very similar to a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone I did and the trub on that was minimal using WLP001. I bottle. I should be able to pop the airlock bung and drop right in with minimal O2 entry.

Back