LP Gas question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
Im doing full boils in my 10 gallon kettle over a 60k btu burner. I have made 2 batches so far with this setup, and my propane tank feels alot lighter. How many batches do you guys usually get to make before running out of gas?

SoCalBrewing said:
Im doing full boils in my 10 gallon kettle over a 60k btu burner. I have made 2 batches so far with this setup, and my propane tank feels alot lighter. How many batches do you guys usually get to make before running out of gas?

I get about 10-14 5 gal batches per tank. Try turning your burner down just enough to maintain your 212dF boil to greatly improve your gas efficiency and you will notice you get many many many more batches out of your tank.

Thats good to know. I just got my buddy to weld on the fittings to my kettle for a built in Thermometer. That should help out alot.

HemiPowered said:
I get about 10-14 5 gal batches per tank.

That's easily more than TWICE what I get. I average 4-5 5-gal full boil batches, using the burner for all heating (strike water, sparge water, etc.) and boiling 60-90 minutes. I run my flame as low as I can without having to worry about the breeze blowing it out.

There have been several other threads on this topic, and IIRC I think more people fall into my range than Hemi's. YMMV.

If you use your tank for strike/sparge water you can divide that by 2 if you turn down your burner after reaching 212dF. I have been using my stove for the HLT water to reduce the need of refilling.

Back