Lowering mineral concentrations to obtain brew-able levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a beginner brewer, but know a few things about the brewing process having already worked in a brewery.

I am currently trying to establish if the water source I want to use, is viable, or can be treated in a way to obtain a water profile that can work! Also, what tend to be key features of water that make certain geographical areas produce a certain style of beer better?

This is what I have to work with:
Calcium (ppm) - 55.10
Chloride (ppm) - 819.70 (this is ridiculously high)
HCO3 (ppm) - 92.10
Magnesium (ppm) - 69.40
Sodium (ppm) - 407.70 (again ridiculously high)
SO4 (ppm) - 83.00
pH - 6.80

what style would best suite this or is closest to this?
How can I obtain lower concentrations?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Unfortunately, the magnesium is nearly triple of what would make a decent beer as well.

You'd have to dilute this about 90% with reverse osmosis or distilled water, and even then it wouldn't be ideal.

I'm not a expert on water sources, but I've never seen a water profile like that one. Where does it come from?

This is a crazy water profile. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it, and I thought I'd seen 'em all. My first thought was that something in the report was off somewhere ("typos"), but I added up the charges, and it does balance. @James Strahlendorf I see distilled or RO water in your future.

You could dilute it with distilled/RO, but after you've diluted sufficiently (i.e. a lot) to reduce some of those ions to acceptable levels, other ions will have been reduced so much that you'd need (ideally) to add some back. So if you have to build anyway... my recommendation would be to start with 100% distilled or RO and build from there.

Last edited:
This is a crazy water profile. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it, and I thought I'd seen 'em all. My first thought was that something in the report was off somewhere ("typos"), but I added up the charges, and it does balance. @James Strahlendorf I see distilled or RO water in your future.

You could dilute it with distilled/RO, but after you've diluted sufficiently (i.e. a lot) to reduce some of those ions to acceptable levels, other ions will have been reduced so much that you'd need (ideally) to add some back. So if you have to build anyway... my recommendation would be to start with 100% distilled or RO and build from there.
Cheers! Yeah I will have a look into it thank you.

:cool: Or you can move away from the coast (or island, if that's where you live). Those values can only come from saltwater seepage. You have over one gram of sea salt per liter in your drinking water. At least you don't have to put any salt on your food...

Seriously, with such a water source RO is the only way to go, and not just for brewing but for drinking and cooking as well. You should invest in a very good RO system large enough to provide clean potable water for your family's needs.

:cool: Or you can move away from the coast (or island, if that's where you live). Those values can only come from saltwater seepage. You have over one gram of sea salt in your drinking water. At least you don't have to put any salt on your food...
Actually live quite far inland in South Africa, but yes if I was to drink it, Im sure I could sprinkle a little on my food 😂

Fossile water source was my second choice... Well it was part of a sea once so I'm not that far off from the mark, just by a few million years... :D

Seriously, with such a water source RO is the only way to go, and not just for brewing but for drinking and cooking as well. You should invest in a very good RO system large enough to provide clean potable water for your family's needs.
It was a discovered underground spring on the property, and thought well free water will make brewing cheaper!......... that is if it doesn't look like what I have.....

Yeah, what was that with the catch and there always being one?
If you have a more suitable water source you're probably better off just using that one and leaving the well water to the Springboks... ;)

Latest posts

Back