Lowering Mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimmer1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Palmer excel program to "create" my own water based on the style of beer I am brewing. I add salts etc to create what should be the ideal water to give me the correct salt concentrations, ratios, reside alk, and Mash pH. My question is if I miss my target on pH and need to lower it during the mash, what do most of you do? I see all kinds of suggestions on acidifying sparge water, but what is the best way to acidify the mash slightly during the mash to get to the ideal pH? Phosphoric acid? How much?

Example mash pH is 5.8 and I want it 5.4

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:
I use a calculator to get/predict my mash where I want it with salt additions and acid, and also to calculate what adjustment would be required during the mash should I miss. I figure out how much 85% phosphoric acid or pickling lime would be required to change ph by .1. During the mash I take periodic ph readings and I only adjust if I'm outside of 5.2-5.5

Thanks. I have the calc to predict with salt additions but I don't have one to calculate additions to the mash if I am off from predicted. Which calc do you use to figure out your phosphoric acid addition to the mash if you need to lower your pH

Bru'n water. It's not a separate calculation necessarily. Once I've got all my numbers where I want them I just plug in some acid to see how much it takes to lower, and pickling lime to see how much it takes to raise it.

It's probably not perfect, but definitely close enough. It's not too often that I need to adjust the mash. When I have, using that method I've never had an issue getting it where I want it with one addition.

It's much easier if you have a ph meter. Then you can add very small additions of lactic or phosphoric acid, a half a milliliter at a time, and then stir and re-measure.

John

Its actually much easier if you know your starting water quality and use a brewing chemistry program such as Bru'n Water to more accurately calculate the acid dose and adding that to the water prior to adding the grain. It is extremely difficult to incrementally add acid and stir with adequate results.

Its actually much easier if you know your starting water quality and use a brewing chemistry program such as Bru'n Water to more accurately calculate the acid dose and adding that to the water prior to adding the grain. It is extremely difficult to incrementally add acid and stir with adequate results.

I probably should have said you could also do it this way instead of it's much easier.... Bru'n Water is probably an excellent way to go, but not the only way. Since I built a Kal clone I follow his way of brewing since it works awesome for my particular system. I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult to add acid and stir with adequate results. I (and thousands of us) do it this way and it works great. I follow Kal's step by step brew day and here is a link to the part about adding acid in the middle of the page.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

I use R/O water though and it only takes a little bit of acid, and only on some brews, depending on the type of grains being used. It is easy for me.

Agreed. Just in case I wasn't clear, I use bru'n water to calculate my water adjustments, and to be prepared to make an adjustment on the fly. Once in a blue moon, ph will be outside of the calculated range, and I'll need to make an adjustment.

Back