Lowering IBU in already done Wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

licquyd

Reaction score
I purchase a Festa Brew Kit with is basically 23L of wort

West Coast IPA IBU 44.

Then I realised some of the IPA i've been trying seems a bit too hoppy for my taste and the IBU was 33 and 40 for the two IPA I have been drinking.

Is there a way to lower the IBU for this Wort?

Thanks for any info...

Use software like BeerSmith and add sugar, DME (Dried Malt Extract), or LME (Liquid Malt Extract) to alter the ratio of BU (Bitterness Units) to GU (gravity Units).

In other words, add fermentables to alter the bitterness or dilute.

Adding sugars will increase the alcohol and diluting will reduce it. By volume.

If it is already fermenting give the beer extra time in the bottle and the bitterness will fade with time.

Don't open the first one til at least 6-8 weeks in the bottle and if it is still too bitter, wait a few more. It will fade over time.

It hasn't started fermenting. I will be setting it up today sometime.

Adding fermentation, I'm haven't used Beersmith before, I don't know what the wort is made up of, i can guess, but i know the IBU.

I do have 5lb of LME (Liquid Malt Extract) at home....this beer is suppose to ferment to about 6.5% abv.....adding LME, wow, it could be pretty potent.

anyone have an idea on how much I should add, if any

4 IBU isn't the end of the world: I'd leave it as is for now. With Festa Brew, you can be done in about 20 minutes if you are well prepared and have everything clean and sanitized (and most of that is post pitching cleanup). No point in adding trouble to that :D Plus I'm getting mixed info as some sources cite 44 others 42.

Also, if you have never used Festa Brew, I'd recommend leaving the bag in the box and opening it, carefully, with a sanitized butter knife. I used a rubbermaid cooler to prop the whole thing. Sanitize the whole bag with your favourite solution on a paper towel. The bag's cap WILL end up in the wort, so it better be spotless :D It can also get very messy, so transfer from bag to pail somewhere where cleanup will be easy (outside, bathroom, etc.).

It depends on the hops.

I have had some very high IBU IPAs that were very nice and some low IBU Stouts that were almost undrinkable do to the hop variety used.

I did several small batches with different hops and found several that I prefer. There is one hop that I do NOT like. I haven’t found out which one it is yet. I just know it when I taste it in some commercial brews. I may have to email the brewer and ask. I just will not say it is because I want to know what I do NOT like.

Do you know what hops were in this brew? If you know, just let this be a lesson in picking hops you do or do not like. (I know MrBeer will not say more than that they use the same hops in many of their kits.)

I purchase a Festa Brew Kit with is basically 23L of wort

West Coast IPA IBU 44.

Then I realised some of the IPA i've been trying seems a bit too hoppy for my taste and the IBU was 33 and 40 for the two IPA I have been drinking.

Is there a way to lower the IBU for this Wort?

Thanks for any info...

I dont think those are IPAs, arent IPAS at least 60-ish IBUS.

I dont think those are IPAs, arent IPAS at least 60-ish IBUS.

No!

Standard IPA is 40 to 70 IBU depending on Englich or American influence.

IIPA starts at 60.

Anymore it seems, IPA has befallen unto the ranks of Bitter or Pale Ale. Not extreme enough.

It's a shame.

Back