Lowering IBU after I've entered fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedLiquid

Reaction score
Is there a way to lower IBU AFTER I've already entered fermentation??? I messed up and over-boiled my 2nd hops and now I think my IBU is thru the roof....

Is there a way to lower IBU AFTER I've already entered fermentation??? I messed up and over-boiled my 2nd hops and now I think my IBU is thru the roof....

No, not really. You could add some nonfermentable sweeteners later, but it's not a good way to lower bitterness.

Just wondering, how could you over boil hops?

First of all check with brewing software........ what do you mean "over boiled"....... How long? After an hour of boiling, you have most of the bitterness out of the hops.

Then start another brew, and treat it as if it was the same brew....... that is to say double your batch size, and make the compensations to the second brew........ Combine the two at bottling time, or in the same fermenter if you have the room. I've done this to save a brew I wasn't happy with, combining 2 2.5 gallon brews in one 6 gallon brew bucket. Worked great. The first brew had been fermenting for several days when I poured into the brew bucket with the new brew.

Anything goes!!

H.W.

Its probably better to just not worry about it and go through fermentation and then taste it. If its too hoppy for you, you can still bottle it and then blend with a less hoppy beer when you drink it.
Also the hop bitterness will decrease over time.

Over-boiled as in time...I am a rookie and had an all grain recipe that I was attempting to convert into a steep/extract version...Since that night, I've downloaded a software program and have read up on hops...I rushed into the batch. I added my 2nd hops too early in the boil and now realize what I did (after the fact)...so now I will likely have an overly bitter Irish Red...live & learn, right?

Back