lower final gravity than beersmith calculates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apshaffer

Reaction score
I consistently get a lower final gravity than beersmith calculates. Its off by .005 - .01. I just racked a batch of pale ale to my secondary and the gravity is reads 1.009 (original gravity was 1.055). Beersmith calculates the final gravity to be 1.013. By the time I get it out of the secondary, it'll be 1.005-6ish. I've been using Nottingham dry yeast lately, but it seems to happen on any yeast.

So, is the yeast working overtime or what? Is my mash out of whack? I typically mash at 152-154 for 60 minutes. Or, are beersmith's predicted calculations off? A lot of times my ales start out at the high end of the "style OG" and end up lower than the "style FG." Just curious. My beer turns out just fine, a little high octane sometimes, but that's ok.

BeerSmith isn't actually "predicting" anything. It's just using the attenuation number that you provide. It looks like you have it set to ~76% ADF. You can change that to match the attenuation you're actually getting from your mash, or mash at a higher temp to get attenuations closer to what's entered into BeerSmith.

Beersmith estimates final gravity by assuming the %attenuation of the yeast you're using, however, yeast have ranges of attenuation. It may be your fermentation process provides a good environment for attenuation, so you are getting to the higher end of attenuation. If your beers are turning out fine, then don't worry about it. Just curious, what is your normal fermentation profile?

My fermentation usually goes something like...

1. cool wort to the low 70's, pitch yeast. I don't make a starter, but I do rehydrate dry yeast for 10-15 minutes prior to pitching.
2. primary for 7 days
3. secondary for 7-14 days
4. into the keg and cooled to 40.

I ferment in my garage where temps run in the mid 50's to mid 60's this time of year. I keep my carboys near my furnace so it's probably in the upper range of those temps. I have not measured the actual temp I'm fermenting at.

The beer always turns of fine, it just the FG is usually lower than the "style FG" and what Beersmith calculates. I was just wondering why. I thought I may be mashing to cool and getting more fermentable sugars. I usually mash at 153ish. Maybe next run I'll try 155.

I never adjusted the attenuation number for the yeasts. Everything's set to default. I see where I can change that now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest posts

Back