Low starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I adapted an IPA recipe but the starting gravity was predicted to be way too high so I cut back on the dme and honey to 5lbs and 0.5 lbs (instead of 6lbs and 1lbs). Ibrewmaster predicted the OG to be 1.077 (which is what I wanted) but it came out to 1.048. I'm concerned this may make a bad beer now and wondered whether I was better forgetting about it and seeing how it turned out, or boiling up another pound of dme in a little water and adding it to the fermenting wort.

Any suggestions?

can you post the recipe and your process to help us figure out what went wrong? I personally would not add DME after fermentation has started. If nothing else see how this beer turns out and maybe blend it with another batch.

A recipe would definitely help. That beings said if you did an all extract beer and hit your volumes correctly, you OG is going to be pretty much what is predicted.

If you used the amount of hops that was prescribed for 6lb dme and 1lb honey, it's going to be more bitter, first because you'll have less residual(unfermented) sugar and second because of the slightly better hop utilization during the boil.

6lb dme and 1lb honey would have given you an og of 63 in 5 gal. 5lb + .5lb should give an og of~49 in 5 gal.

Back