low starting gravity. what can i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Thought I was having a pretty successful brew day yesterday, that is until I took a hydrometer reading.

I boiled 3 gallons of wort (using 6lbs dme). Boiled 50min while adding hops. Cooled in ice bath and transfered to fermentor. I didn't seem to lose much volume at all from the boil (it only appeared to lose about half a gallon). So I added 2 gallons of water and then took a reading. I figured I would still need to add another half gallon, but the gravity read 1.032.

the gravity reading was already corrected for temperature and I was aiming for closer to 1.050. I think the problem might be that the dme didn't fully dissolve. (Not sure why that would happen).

So my question is: can I do anything after the yeast has already been pitched to bring up the gravity? I don't want to end up with a 2%abv beer. I'm thinking its probly too late. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you took the OG reading correctly? You say you added two gallons of water, but if that didn't mix in the wort well enough it could alter your reading.

That's a good point and possible. Guess I'm still worried because almost 24 hrs later and airlock is barely bubbling. But I know I just need to relax and not worry to. Much

If you're not seeing any activity shake it up a good bit -- the added aeration will help wake up your yeasties (aeration is a tricky subject in brewing and something that I would suggest reading up on. It's good to have it sometimes, and bad at other times). Also, you can take a sanitized turkey baster and grab another sample of your wort if you want to try to get another reading (since you say there's almost no activity at least it should be pretty close to accurate). Your beer is hardier than you think it is, so you'll be OK. Keep good notes so you know what you did for your next brew.

Any extract batch will have the calculated OG. Inadequate mixing is the most likely source of your reading.

If you used DME, there's no way your OG is really that low. Just roll with the estimated OG and remember to take a hydrometer reading before topping off next time.

Hey thanks for the replies. I knew I could count on you guys. Pretty sure my problem is that I didn't mix it up after topping off and the reading was just inaccurate. Ill take another reading today when I get home and post it on here.

It's amazing how difficult it is to thoroughly mix wort and water. If you added water and then took a sample off the top, your OG reading was probably mostly water and not much wort.

Also, in the spirit of Revvy - your airlock not bubbling is not an indication of a problem with fermentation. You may have hit 1.050 on the nose with your yeasties churning away and you could never know it. Another hydrometer reading is the only way to tell.

You're using extract, so I agree there's no way your actual reading was accurate unless you poured half the DME in the trash.

Just took another reading and Everyone was correct. I hadnt mixed it up after adding water. Today it read 1.039, but thats after about 24 hours of fermenting. And the airlock was much more active when i got home from work than it was this morning.

So, now im wondering what the true OG actually was yesterday. I know theres no way to tell for sure, but the target was 1.055. Anyone think that would be too far of a jump after 24 hours of bubbles?

So, now im wondering what the true OG actually was yesterday. I know theres no way to tell for sure, but the target was 1.055. Anyone think that would be too far of a jump after 24 hours of bubbles?

Let it finish and multiply by 4. Pretty good guess usually.

Or, if you can come up with a hydrometer and a refractometer, and degas your finished beer, you can back-calculate the OG (and determine the ABV). BYO had a great article with the math, but Beersmith does it much easier.

Odds are you were pretty close since it was an extract beer. But the multiple by 4 rule will give you a decent approximation. If its even in the ballpark, just assume you got it right on.

Back