Low profile airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I'm going to be fermenting lagers in my chest freezer, and when I measure the height from the compressor hump to the lid, it's about 2 inches shorter than the height of the 3-piece airlock in the carboy. Does anyone know if there is a low profile airlock out there, or any other way around this problem?

YooperBrew said:
A carboy cap and blow off tube? Would that be smaller?

Hmm, that'll be real close, it's pretty much the same height. I supposed if I bend down the top of the carboy cap, that may work.

Or just use the good old sanitized piece of foil method. I think since you're putting it in a nearly sealed container anyway, so long as you keep the freezer clean, you'd not have any problems.

What about a piece of Tyvek? It allows air out, but not in. And best of all, you can get it free at the post office (1st class envelopes)

How about just finding a copper elbow (or making your own with a tubing bender), then putting one end of that in a stopper - the other end gets a hose which drops into a blowoff jar.

5 Is Not Enough said:
Or just use the good old sanitized piece of foil method. I think since you're putting it in a nearly sealed container anyway, so long as you keep the freezer clean, you'd not have any problems.

This is what I would do.

Professor Frink: which method did you wind up using? I have a small upright freezer that I plan to use for lagering, and I need a couple inches less height than the standard fermenter/carboy with 3-piece airlocks give. I know this is an old thread, but has anybody had any experiences with this in the past couple years?
Thanks!
:mug:

Do what the keezer crowd does and put a collar on it. No mods to your brewing apparatus, and if you ever sell the freezer you can take the collar off.

Don't know what your fermenter is but I know my buckets are about 1"/1.5" shorter than a 5 gallon carboy or 6.5 gallon better bottle

Yeah; I use the same standard fermenter bucket, but its still just a little too tall with the 3-piece airlock. The carboy is even a little taller than that. Those vented silicone stoppers seem to be out of stock everywhere I look online. I'll look into the collars. I do have one fermenter that's more squatty than the others, so that one would work in there.
Thanks for the response, guys.

Used a piece of racking cane and a bung. Works with blow-off too.

Edit:
Damn! The zombie bit me.

BelgainWit2 at 18 hours.jpg

I would just go with racking tube and bung. Don't jave to buy new gear and you can re-use it. Easy to clean, easy to use.

I've got the same problem, and the silicone airlock looks perfect. With this I think I can get 4 buckets into a 13 cubic foot upright freezer. Now I just need to get a second freezer for lagering.

I have not tried this personally, but I second the Tyvek idea. It's used in other hobbies that require perfect sterilization. Although, it can let oxygen back in. That is only if fermentation has stopped and somehow the CO2 has leaked out.

It's actually very inexpensive if you buy in bulk. You can go to your local hardware store and get a Tyvek suit in the painting department that you can use for years. That is if you're sealing a carboy. (Around $15)

The only thing that bothers me is an extremely active fermentation that may need a blow off tube and bucket to catch the extra krausen. Otherwise you would have a horrible mess and/or a contaminated batch of wonderful beer.

Back